AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The input levels to the 3805 from my TV; DVD and the Tuner vary significantly meaning that switching from the TV to the Tuner almost blows my speakers if I do not remember to turn down the 3805 output first.

I'll remember but my other family members may not.

What is the smartest way to level the imput ot output?

Is there a way to configure the 3805 to handle the differences?

Thanks DennisXL

·
Registered
627 Posts
It would be nice if a simple attenuator could be inserted at the input of the receiver. I too have this problem to some degree with my 2803. The tuner always produces a much stronger signal than the DVD player.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. Tom.

Ijust did not want to miss an obvious solution.

I had a feeling that what you said is "end of story." I would imagine that there is an additional device that would handle the issue - but after $900+ for the unit, I was hoping for no-additional-cost.

Any other's thoughts are appreciated

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think one issue is that broadcast TV tends to "compress" the dynamic range, compared to the broader range in DVD and CD. Especially it seems the commercials are universally uniformly loud!

What you can do is plug in a device that has a male and female RCA connected with a couple resisters. A "3dB" would give you a factor of two, if that is not enough try a 6dB.

For example, parts express sells some. Or you can get them with gold plated contacts, etc. but if it is broadcast TV, might not be much "quality" in the signal anyway. Certainly bringing down the broadcast TV level is the way to go.

But you have a good point: you might think some pre-defined attenuation per input would be a nice feature. Sort of like the volume control on Windows, where there is a separate level for each input, plus one overall. Especially for digital inputs, the analog attenuator will no longer work!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.