AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your help and advise. I'm new to all these so please just take it easy. I currently have a Denon AVR-3805 to power my Martin Logan Source (front) and Vignettes (rear) speakers. I want to upgrade to a better receiver but have limited budget at the moment. I saw an ad for a Denon AVR-5700 for $500. I know this receiver is the Denon flagship at one point but I also understand it's a few years older than my current AVR-3805.

Do you guys think it's a good move to switch from 3805 to 5700, or is this a move backwards? Am I better off saving my money for the 3808CI down the line?

Appreciate any input.

·
Banned
514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atapay /forum/post/18195097

Need your help and advise. I'm new to all these so please just take it easy. I currently have a Denon AVR-3805 to power my Martin Logan Source (front) and Vignettes (rear) speakers. I want to upgrade to a better receiver but have limited budget at the moment. I saw an ad for a Denon AVR-5700 for $500. I know this receiver is the Denon flagship at one point but I also understand it's a few years older than my current AVR-3805.

Do you guys think it's a good move to switch from 3805 to 5700, or is this a move backwards? Am I better off saving my money for the 3808CI down the line?

Appreciate any input.

I also have the 5700 and I am waiting to hopefully get a newer HDMI equipped Denon AVR. IMHO please save your money and do a lot of research/reading(reviews) to ensure yourself you're making the right decision when you get a new one. Check: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/avrecivers/

Good luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would personally go for one of the new Pioneer Elites such as the Pioneer VSX 21 or 23 or even the Pioneer vsx 9040.

Why? you ask, it simple, I also have the Denon 3805 receiver and when I purchased it in 2006, I auditioned it side by side with serveral older Pioneer Elites that were also new at that time, and found them to be equal in sound quality.

The only reason I bought the denon was because I found a deal $450 off retail at that time.

What I`m saying is, if the Pioneer Elites could match the sound quality of the Denon in 2006 ( both pioneer and Denon were using Burr-Brown DACs), and today Elites still use high quality Burr-Brown DACs and even higher quality Wolfson DACs .....add to that the new DTS-MA and Truehd HD audio formats for futher improved sound quality.....it`s a no brainer!

Another thing I`ve noticed is that the Pioneers 21 and 23txh weight almost the exact same as the flasgship Denon 3805`s 37lbs 8oz.

With the pioneer vsx23 txh weighing the exact same same as the Denon and the 21 being 1lbs lighter, signifies that if their isn`t a brick duct-taped to the inner wall, we can assume a good power supply was also used.

We don`t even need to mention 5 48 bit color HDMI inputs which upscale to 1080p using the same video processor used on the highly acclaimed Oppo 83!!!

Also Avs memebers are supposed to be able to get a deal on these receivers from a guy named Ramon.

I`m personally turned off by Denon`s lighter weight receivers in 2009. as far up as the 2310 weighing only 28.6 lbs and costing $1499.00

I can`t help but think that skimping on quality has been done! I mean if you think about it, these new audio formats sound so good (DTS-MA and TureHD) some manufactures could skimp on quality parts and let these sound fields provide you with better sound thses our high end dd and dts receivers, and we might not ever realized they skimpped of quality yet are charging as if were getting a better quality receiver!

How does my 3805 weigh a wopping 10lbs more than a new 3310ic receiver?

Because quality has been replaced by features. Pioneer seems to giving both so i`m jumping ship.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Have you heard the sound of the 5700 in comparison with the 3805? Is it significantly better or not?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have no heard them side by side, but keep in mind that the 3805 and 5700 were created to be flagship receiver at that time for their perticular price range.

these Denon receivers were ment to pull the highest sound fedelity from "standard" Doly AC3, SA-CD, and DTS sound field, creating movie theater like reproduction in the home. I think the achived this however, they are limited to making music and standard audio resolution sound fantastic.

If you really want to know what the 5700 can do with modern HD formats, you should get a good player like the Pioneer BDP 320 and use it`s 7.1 analog out puts which also use Burr-Brown DACs.

This will allow your 5700`s 140 watt amps to power DTS-MA and TrueHD in full resolution via it`s 7.1 analog inputs!!

The 5700 might even have bass managment over it`s analog inputs which can help hone in even better sound.

Then you can compare it the sound of some of the modern receivers to see if it`s even worth upgrading.

I love the sound of my 3805 and bdp 320 but, I could really use HDMI inputs on the Pioneer and get the same quality for under a grand and good little discount selling my 3805.

Fist check to make sure you have 7.1 analog inputs on the back then you can just get a bluray palyer with 7.1 outs and you are all set with a high end player that can play all the new formats for about $200.00 or less out of pocket.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atapay /forum/post/18197689

Thanks. Have you heard the sound of the 5700 in comparison with the 3805? Is it significantly better or not?

the 5700 retailed $2800 vs the 3805`s $1200, you should feel pretty darn sure the 5700 might sound better.

For me going up the food chain with receivers from the same manufactuer has never given significantly better sound, just slightly better with more cool features and better build quality on components.

The 5700 is a wopping 47lbs!!! To get that kind of build quality you have to spend close to 2k today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I understand that the 5700 is the higher end line compare to the 3805....but it is also 5 years older than the latter that's why I'm curious if the sound is comparable or even better (despite it's age).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts