AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting a new thread of this problem i have since no other thread includes this.

So ill start from the beginning and hopefully someone could help me with this.

I currently have the AVR-3808 model and experiencing some problems regarding HD-audio formats. I bought my receiver end of 2007 (once it came out in the stores) and I'm very pleased with it except this problem I have with HD audio signals. This problem came to my attention a few months ago when I was about to buy a Denon bluray player (specifically 3800BD model). Up until now I only used PS3 as a bluray player connected to my receiver but didn't have the chance to play any bluray discs with HD audio included. A few months ago I wanted to try and pass HD audio from my PS3 through my AVR but from what I read PS3 could not bitsream these HD audio signals but only decode them and send them as LPCM signals which thats how I configured my PS3 to do and once i did my AVR was indicating the signal as MULTI CH

IN which was correct but the thing is that I couldn't get any sound out whatsoever. I looked over the internet and other users of this AVR model didn't had this issue. Anyway, that was when I began thinking of firmware updating my AVR-3808 with the hope that would resolve this. I successfully updated my AVR through the Denon's GUI Update module, which took more than 1 hour but eventually was updated successfully. Unfortunately, the same problem occurred with my PS3. But anyway, I thought maybe was an incompatibility with the specific PS3 machine or the HDMI cable itself and I thought I could wait until I get a proper standalone bluray player.

A few days ago I tested the Denon bluray trasport (DVD-2500BT) on my receiver and it's with regret to inform you that the same problem exists. I set the 2500BT to bistream all audio signals, but my AVR could not recognize the audio signal. As a matter of fact when I accessed the Audio Signal Information from the menu the audio was reffered to as Unknown. Video was passing through just fine and also all other older audio formats (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) as well.

Today I took my AVR to the Official Denon distributor of my country and we compared all settings with another AVR 3808 model and all settings were identical with the only difference that mine was updated. But anyway I think that this problem doesn't have to do anything with the firmware update since the same problem occurred before the update as well.

In plain words my AVR-3808 receiver does not decode the HD-audio formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD) whatsoever. It's really strange though since my AVR works perfectly fine on all the other feautures except the HD-audio formats Its like it behaves like an older AVR model which does not include the HD-audio decoders.

I've looked over the internet for this problem and couldn't find any information about it so that is why I am creating this new thread. In case there is indeed a problem with the AVR itself (hardware, chipset malfunction etc) I want to know if my AVR is under warranty. From what the dealer told me, it has 2 years warranty which in that case I am covered, BUT I want to make sure that I did not violate any warranty terms by updating the firmware, which I believe I did not since the update was performed through the Denon's Update module available in my AVR setup GUI.

Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too just did an update, but the audio problem I am now experiencing is not quite the same.

My 3808 now doesnt recognize PLAIN Dolby Digital from my HD cable box. I watched a bluray yesterday and had TrueHD with no problems. I believe my problem is probably just a setting issue. I just can't seem to find WHERE. Don't you just love the DENON 3808 manual?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue as all of you too. I gave my old Denon to my brother and his TV/5.1 outputted hd audio from only an Amazon firestick. I have an nividia shield and an Amazon FireTV. The blue hd signal indicator would not light up when I had hd signal programs playing but the display would say DD+ or True HD. It sounded like it was outputting in hd audio but my brother's setup sounded better plus his speakers were not as good as mine. I'm using extron 14 Guage cables, I wonder if using a different Guage would help? My brother had a much thicker audio cable, that is the only difference I can see

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
@houseloop being that your receiver is from 2007/08, the warranty probably expired 13 years ago :)

@cincyborn @reg E

I would say your sources and 3808 are not on the same page regarding input/output settings. The 3808 is hdmi 1.3 you could have handshake issues with newer equipment.

This is from the 2008 review of the 3808.
After I connected a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player by HDMI and set all of the audio options to Bitstream, the AVR-3808CI successfully received and decoded audio signals from all the new formats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts