AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum Members - This is my first post and I am NOT an expert in any area of Home Theater, Audio, equipment etc., so please bear with me. I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago and have been simply overwhelmed by the knowledge and expertise of the forum members, as well as the daunting COMPLEXITY of the subject. I am a recent retiree wanting to build an entertainment center upstairs for my family (including a 10 year old little boy) and a recommended receiver from several sites on the web is the Denon AVR-4306. However, a CNET article states "Expensive; intimidating complexity may put off home-theater newbies; no built-in decoding for next-gen HD-DVD and Blu-ray audio formats; no HD Radio." I'm not concerned about the complexity (though I probably should be), but I am concerned about the "no built-in decoding for HD-DVD etc. What does this mean and how does it restrict my future viewing of high def movies? I simply have no clue and don't know anyone else to ask. Thanks in advance and I'd be very grateful for any responses.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well, like most modern AVRs the receiver does NOT have to do the decoding since the hidef DVD players do the decoding in the player. It is sent to the AVR (Denon 4306) in this case where the Denon processes the decoded signal.

So, you are fine with the HD/BD players...they will work fine with the Denon.

Here is another review of the Denon:
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...n-AVR-4306.php

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by czuponcic /forum/post/0

... I am concerned about the "no built-in decoding for HD-DVD etc. What does this mean and how does it restrict my future viewing of high def movies? I simply have no clue and don't know anyone else to ask. Thanks in advance and I'd be very grateful for any responses.

Well, bwclark is right in his assesment of the AUDIO options. As for now, the HD audio is decoede by the HD DVD/BlueRay player and then passed to the reciever for further processing and amplification. So you should be fine.

As for the video aspect, this receiver has the HDMI 1.1 input/output which is fine for the time being, and is capable of passing the 1080p format, which is the highest currently availbale (HD movies included) on the market. So, you should be fine in this domain as well.

AS for any other questions, try "Official 4306 ..." thread.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you True Fan for your response. I will go to the thread because I have some other questions that everyone in the world probably knows except me i.e will this receiver be powerful enough to drive my proposed speaker set up? How do I know? Do I need an amp(s), pre-processor, pre-amp - if so why?

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by czuponcic /forum/post/0

Thank you True Fan for your response. I will go to the thread because I have some other questions that everyone in the world probably knows except me i.e will this receiver be powerful enough to drive my proposed speaker set up? How do I know? Do I need an amp(s), pre-processor, pre-amp - if so why?

As a qualty AV Receiver, this machine already has multiple amps (one for each channel, and then some) and a high quality pre-amp, plus a wide selection of processing options. In fact, it is the most complete single unit in its price range in my opinion. That's why it is considered expensive.

I upgraded from a 3804 a few weeks ago. I love this toy.

You should know that you can connect nearly all your source components (sat or cable boxes, dvd players, cd players, i-pod, sat radio, video game console, etc etc) into this beast and use its internal switching to send the appropriate signals to your TV, etc at your command.

Please ask the sales person you are buying from to explain how this works. If this is your first time, you will find it amazing, convenient and efficient, if initially confusing.

To answer your direct questions, the 4306 is quite capable of driving any home theater speaker system to levels much higher than you would ever care to listen to. Plenty of power! Great clarity. Not to worry.

I would caution that it is not easy for a first-timer to set up, though not impossible.

I have set up several AVRs, and this one is the most complicated. It also has the most features. I suggest that with a little (OK maybe a lot) patience, you will be very satisfied with this investment. I certainly am, in case you can't tell!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
PS: When Cnet says an item is difficult to setup, it really means they had a lot of trouble figuring it out.

On the simple to use side, the Marantz SR7001 and SR8001 AVR's compete decent with the 4000 series Denon's and are generally considered easier to setup. But my original point was, I don't think ease of setup should be a large factor in choosing. If this is your first system, they are all going to tax your nerves to no end.

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

PS: When Cnet says an item is difficult to setup, it really means they had a lot of trouble figuring it out.

On the simple to use side, the Marantz SR7001 and SR8001 AVR's compete decent with the 4000 series Denon's and are generally considered easier to setup. But my original point was, I don't think ease of setup should be a large factor in choosing. If this is your first system, they are all going to tax your nerves to no end.

Yep.

·
Registered
123 Posts
czuponcic,

The 4306 also has a web interface, which I found much easier to use to set up the unit (assign digital inputs, name inputs, define presets, etc) than using the gui and remote. The speaker setup, including the Audicy (sp?) EQ was very easy to do, assuming you have a tripod and can keep your 10 yr old quiet for about 10 minutes

To use the web interface, connect an ethernet cable between your router and and the 4306 and point your web browser to the unit's IP address. This can be found through the Status screen of the receiver (I think, it's been awhile), or, you can figure it out pretty easily from trial and error, assuming you have only a handful of IP devices in your house, and you know the starting address that your DHCP server (usually the router box) assigns (192.168.1.100, etc).

Hope this didn't scare you off, the web interface is really a nice way to go to set up and configure the box!

I've had mine for a year and love it!!

-- Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.