AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 5359 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdude24 /forum/post/16707295

I have my oppo bdp running to the 4310 via the hdmi cable that came with the unit...no handshake issues at all.

What do you have your video settings at for the 4310?

Seeing as it worked fine with the first 4310 with default settings for both BDP and AVR it's a possibility that I have gotten two crummy 4310s with similar but opposite problems. That seems highly unlikely though. I'm starting got see why there are a lot of love/hate relationships with HDMI.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
We need some reviews on Audyssey DSX! Joe, at least you have "height" speakers already installed, is anyone else playing around with "wides" or other DSX options?

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16707700

We need some reviews on Audyssey DSX! Joe, at least you have "height" speakers already installed, is anyone else playing around with "wides" or other DSX options?

Good point. I plan to hit the Heights hard. I have different Fronts I have been experimenting with so if I move them out I could possibly mess with the DSX to. Of course I really don't want to start a thread for it since last time I took a couple of cheap shots.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/16707740

Good point. I plan to hit the Heights hard. I have different Fronts I have been experimenting with so if I move them out I could possibly mess with the DSX to. Of course I really don't want to start a thread for it since last time I took a couple of cheap shots.

Those were not "cheap shots," joerod. Your system may have cost you a mint, but the experimental quality of your set up is/was "cheap." And all of the "shots" I read or wrote were legitimate criticisms of that methodology.

AJ

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/16708547

Those were not "cheap shots," joerod. Your system may have cost you a mint, but the experimental quality of your set up is/was "cheap." And all of the "shots" I read or wrote were legitimate criticisms of that methodology.

AJ

With the amount of time I put in (especially lately) I consider them CHEAP shots. Especially with putting JBL Arenas with Speaker Stands as well. Maybe you should try instead of criticize. And again my MAIN point was the awesome sound moments that are coming from the Height speakers.

I expect the 4310 to be even more impressive.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDucky /forum/post/16707275

Yes, please let us know once you get everything to work. (or not to work) I will be putting this order off until I see what happens in your situation.

Thanks Man!

In my case the issue was between the 4310 and my new Mitsu 73837. I had continuing handshake problems with my second 4310 and decided to take it back to Abt to try out on other TVs. The same problems occured on their Mitsu floor model, but not on other TVs. This isn't surprising since both the Mitsu and Denon are brand new models, but since I didn't want to wait (hope) for a firmware fix I swapped the 4310 for an Onkyo 876.

I have to say I really like the 4310 better than the Onkyo, but it just wasn't playing nicely with my particular TV.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/16707740

Please try to ignore those a$$h0les there will always be jerks on any public forum. instead focus on the many who really appreciate all that you do and are very interested in your findings and not concerned on how you set up your theater. i for one am extremely interested in hear about DSX and i will appreciate your opinions greatly...... thx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, just joined this thread late - I am referring back to video rates as discussed on page 3 of the thread in relation to a problem I am experiencing: I have a Samsung 750B TV (w/240HZ refresh) which I was running fine w/o a receiver - direct component connects from Direct TV and an old Sony DVD. I just got the 4310, and ran both units into the 4310, then HDMI connect to the TV. Everything was fine at first, but now I get an intermitten video flicker. It does not start immediately, only after the unit has been running for some time. Once it starts, I get a white "flash," very quick, over the whole screen every 4-5 seconds. If I pull the HDMI cable from HDMI 1 out and put it in HDMI 2 out, the problem goes away - for a while. Then it's back again. Do you think this is a suspect cable, handshake problem between the TV and receiver, video setup on the receiver, video setup on the TV? (The cable is a band new Monster M1000HD, untried before getting the Denon).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read back through your posts - I can see why you bailed. I have not tried changing any default video settings on the 4310 yet, just came right here to see if other folks were having similar problems. I think my next step may be to try component out to the TV to see if that narrows it to the interface, then try settings.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo /forum/post/16730077

Please try to ignore those a$$h0les there will always be jerks on any public forum. instead focus on the many who really appreciate all that you do and are very interested in your findings and not concerned on how you set up your theater. i for one am extremely interested in hear about DSX and i will appreciate your opinions greatly...... thx

Thanks.
I promise I will ignore them from now on. My review/take of the 4310CI is coming here shortly...

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
So as many around here know I have been an Onkyo receiver user for the past 5 years or so. I played around with the Pioneer SC07 a couple months ago but the last different brand receiver I had was the Denon 5803A. I am glad I decided to give the 4310CI a shot. I admit I was mainly attracted to the PLIIz Height sound option. Comparing it directly the Onkyo 607 (the first PLIIZ Height receiver I tried) is really not fair since it is one of their intro models. So how does it sound?

Sound Q- I am very impressed with the PLIIz Height sound. I know it is not natural but I am fan. Literally when watching a football game. The roaring crowd has a nice effect in them. As does helicopters and rain. The last chase scene of the latest Friday the 13th 2009 comes alive when it starts to rain. It really pulls you in. I am now using theis option whenever possible. I like how the 4310 allows you to do set up. It has many other options including the new Audyssey DSX Wide sound option. I have spent a little time with it and will spend more in the near future. So far I like what I am hearing but need more time to compare. DTS-HD sounds terrific as well. I have used the 4310 both as a pre-pro and as a receiver.

Setting Up- I really like the GUI. It is simple and very easy to understand. I also like how it has the logos for the surround sound formats. Very cool. The INFO options are very informative. You can see what exactly is going in and out. From sound to resolution to color space and even upconverted deep color bits! It is all here. You will never question what is going on. The Audyssey set up was also pretty easy to do. I noticed a hige plus in sound after doing it. All sound levels were nearly spot on and I barely had to tweak them. Everything is very straight forward. Also with the Set Up it allows you to choose which speakers are going (A or B or both) for each and every surround mode. I love being able to control everything. This allows the Height speakers to go with the surround backs. Something I couldn't do with the 607 from Onkyo. though I would expect their higher models to allow that. I am anxious to try the 4810 in Sept since it will be a true 9 channel receiver.TIP> Use the REAR/AMP speaker terminals for the Heights and the L & R Rears with Surround A while using the Surround Backs with Surround B...

The Remote(s)- I guess there is not to much to say. They both work well and both get the job done. People who use a universal type won't care either way. Still not bad but nothing to write home about either.

Conclusion- I am still getting used to the 4310CI but am enjoying it while I am which is a good sign. The impressive cosmetic look compliments the new DVD-A1 Blu ray/Universal player (pic 1). And since I just hooked both up the last couple of days my theater smells like electronics.
The last I will say is that with as flexible as the 4310 is I doubt you will need more. From the vast amount of sound options to the dual HDMI outs that will even pass the signal when the unit is off. The excellent scaling deserves to get mentioned as well. Being able to select video level, DNR, Chroma Level, Brightness, COntrast, Hue and Enhancer (my favorite which emphasizes contours without hurting the image) which is very impressive. You get to pick resolution as well as pick scaling for analog and HDMI sources. Sending in DirecTV HDMI in 1080i has yeilded terrific results thanks to the 2010 Anchor Bay chip. So as you can see I am really impressed with the 4310CI. I just hope the next time I do a firmware update (via the ethernet connection) it goes a little more smoothly. I had to try and retry a few times. I was worried I would have to send it back at one point then it magically moved past that dreaded 29 minute mark!
If that is my worst hiccup so far then I think I am doing pretty good. So until other receivers come out with PLIIz Height then the 4310 is top of the class for me. It may very well take the 4810 to get me to switch which is saying a lot. If you are on the fence don't hesitate. If you have the capability to do the new Heights then this is the perfect receiver to jump in with.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
thanks joe, nice write-up...

i want one...i'm just afraid i may have buyers remorse when the 4810 comes out

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke /forum/post/16736147

thanks joe, nice write-up...

i want one...i'm just afraid i may have buyers remorse when the 4810 comes out

Thanks, I read you loud and clear. I like the 4310 so much I have to get the 4810!

·
Registered
6 Posts
How is it that some dealers can sell these types of components on e-bay for hundreds of dollars less that the other authorized dealers? They all claim new in box, but none say factory warantee. If manufacturers like Denon are working to protect their dealers, by keeping the prices up, how in the heck do these other non authorized type dealers even get ahold of product to sell. I mean if Denon is making it, and they theoretically only sell to their authorized dealers, where are the UN authorized dealers getting their product? I would assume most of these kinds of items are reliable, and that you can have problems with the product occasionally, and I prefer to have a factory warantee. What do I get besides that for my $$?

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
joerod -- thanks for the review. Audyssey claims their DSX processing is much superior to PLIIz, since PLIIz just "extracts" ambiance whereas the DSX system produces real discrete full-range effects. I'm very curious for you to experiment with DSX processing your "height" channels versus PLIIz processing, and see what the differences are with different material.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsJunkie /forum/post/16736443

How is it that some dealers can sell these types of components on e-bay for hundreds of dollars less that the other authorized dealers? They all claim new in box, but none say factory warantee. If manufacturers like Denon are working to protect their dealers, by keeping the prices up, how in the heck do these other non authorized type dealers even get ahold of product to sell. I mean if Denon is making it, and they theoretically only sell to their authorized dealers, where are the UN authorized dealers getting their product?

Denon sells to distributors, not dealers... big difference. That is where the product comes from.

Perhaps they could spend the time and energy tracking stock from distributors to dealers, but their no warranty policy is deterrent enough for most consumers... I don't think it's a big enough issue for them to track... with the minute amount of units sold on the bay (you'll see 3 4310's on there), I don't think they are losing sleep over it.
I would even be willing to bet some of those "dealers" on the bay are distributors by another name.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16736604

joerod -- thanks for the review. Audyssey claims their DSX processing is much superior to PLIIz, since PLIIz just "extracts" ambiance whereas the DSX system produces real discrete full-range effects. I'm very curious for you to experiment with DSX processing your "height" channels versus PLIIz processing, and see what the differences are with different material.

I plan to spend a couple hours comparing them tonite.
I will report back.

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/16736648

Denon sells to distributors, not dealers... big difference. That is where the product comes from.

Perhaps they could spend the time and energy tracking stock from distributors to dealers, but their no warranty policy is deterrent enough for most consumers... I don't think it's a big enough issue for them to track... with the minute amount of units sold on the bay (you'll see 3 4310's on there), I don't think they are losing sleep over it.
I would even be willing to bet some of those "dealers" on the bay are distributors by another name.

I was going to guess distributors!

121 - 140 of 5359 Posts