AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have a denon avr4311 receiver or it's a denon avr-a100 but the same thing almost. My question is if I can use preout as amp, because I have a 7 channels amplifier where I use 2 channel per front speaker. I want to connect 7cables directly in the denon receiver without splitting the signal from front left and front right. Can I somehow connect them in some of the last preouts like front wide or front height, if I change something in the menu of the receiver. Sorry for my bad English.
God evening

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
With a 7.1 setup, in addition to the first 7 pre-outs (F/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR) connected to the external amp, also connect a set of speaker wires from the Front Wide speaker posts to the 2nd set of terminals on the FL/FR speakers (remember to remove bi-amp plate connecting the two sets of speaker posts on the FL/FR speakers).

On the remote control, select ...

AMP - MENU - MANUAL SETUP - SPEAKER SETUP - ASSIGN MODE = Bi Amp; Assign Sp. = Front Wide

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 7 channel amplifier where I use 1 channel on center, back left, back right. Then there is 4 channel left. Then I use 2 channel per front speaker where I remove the connection between the terminals on the speaker itself. Then I want to connect the preout on my receiver without splitting the rca cable or output with plugs. I want to know if I can set some kind of bi-map mode so some off the last preouts can be used for front speakers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the moment I split the signal from preout on receiver at front terminal with y-splitter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because my amplifier is 7x200watt I use 2x200watt for 1 front speaker and 2x200 for the other front. The the last speaker: center, and back speakers get 200watt per channel. Understand?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't get it. There is double effect for front speakers that way. 1 channel from amplifier = one set cables. 1 other channel for 1 set of speaker cables. That's for 1 front speaker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What i want is to remove my y-splitter behind my pre amp, they are connected to my channel in amplifier, 4 cables. Then i want to remove the splitter and connect the 2 of the cable to some of the other preouts on the receiver, that i want to give same signal as the front preouts. If you dont get it, im sorry

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
You keep describing wanting to use the "bi-amp" feature in the avr as jdsmoothie pointed out details to you for. I'm saying it has little to no benefit to your speakers to connect them in either manner, your current way, or using the bi-amp feature in the avr. If you believe it has a benefit, that is fine, but the benefit is mostly fairy dust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi all, I think this thread shred me some light and can really help me. Kindly do not argue the purpose of my using bi amp configuration. I have 3 very huge speakers, even the center speaker it has to be bi amp and I have no choice to set it up that way. Problem is, this receiver can only allow the front left and right speaker to be bi-amp right? how about the center speaker? It seems like it is impossible to have the center channel to have bi amp configuration too?? I really appreciate if someone can advice here! Thanks in advanced.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
hi all, I think this thread shred me some light and can really help me. Kindly do not argue the purpose of my using bi amp configuration. I have 3 very huge speakers, even the center speaker it has to be bi amp and I have no choice to set it up that way. Problem is, this receiver can only allow the front left and right speaker to be bi-amp right? how about the center speaker? It seems like it is impossible to have the center channel to have bi amp configuration too?? I really appreciate if someone can advice here! Thanks in advanced.
What do you mean you have no choice? The two sets of terminals on your speakers don't have a jumper to bridge the terminals so you can just wire them normally? I haven't noticed an avr that offers a passive bi-amp feature for the center channel. If you have pre-outs you could add a 2ch amp, send the center channel to that amp (with a y splitter unless the amp can do that internally) and then power the center with two sets of wires, one from each channel of the amp. Silly as the passive bi-amping of your L/R speakers, but you could do it if you really believe in this nonsense....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello

have a question that's similar to this threads topic. On my 4311, I am using all 9 channels, and planning on getting a separate amp 200x7 to use for the L/C/R/LS/RS/LSB/RSB. Can I use the amp to feed the Left and Right Heights?
And if so, would the 4311CI at this point provide the full 140watts in stereo to those height speakers?

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
Hello

have a question that's similar to this threads topic. On my 4311, I am using all 9 channels, and planning on getting a separate amp 200x7 to use for the L/C/R/LS/RS/LSB/RSB. Can I use the amp to feed the Left and Right Heights?
And if so, would the 4311CI at this point provide the full 140watts in stereo to those height speakers?

1. Yes, you can use the external amp on the FL/FR speakers to expand from 9CH --> 11CH and then connect the height speakers to the speaker posts.
2. Yes ... well actually closer to 175W as that is what it bench tested at into 2CH. :eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am not using 11, I have 9 speakers hooked up
Left and Right floor. Center, Left and Right Height and 4 for surrounds.
To be clear, can I leave the Left and Right height as is and then with the new separate 7 channel amp, re-direct the left and right, Center and 4 surrounds?

And about the 175 watts, I was under the impression the Denon 4311CI is only rated at 140 watts when 8 ohms are used?

And another question, which I've gotten different answers from Denon tech support and from various amp/speakers companies.

DOES the 4311 provide a full 140 watts when all 9 channels are used?

·
Premium Member
90,390 Posts
I am not using 11, I have 9 speakers hooked up
Left and Right floor. Center, Left and Right Height and 4 for surrounds.
To be clear, can I leave the Left and Right height as is and then with the new separate 7 channel amp, re-direct the left and right, Center and 4 surrounds?

And about the 175 watts, I was under the impression the Denon 4311CI is only rated at 140 watts when 8 ohms are used?

And another question, which I've gotten different answers from Denon tech support and from various amp/speakers companies.

DOES the 4311 provide a full 140 watts when all 9 channels are used?
1. The 4311CI is a 9CH AVR. You can power all 9CH or you can pre-out all 9CH or some mix of both, so again, yes, you can do your use case.
2. What the AVR is rated for and what it bench tests at are two different numbers.
3. No, not a full 140W. An AVR will generally provide its rated power into only 2CH with about 80% of that into 5CH, 70% into 7CH and 60% into 9CH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts