AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm new to the site so be easy! I'm far from being savvy in this realm, which is why I've decided to come here to get some input/suggestions/recommendations.

I've got an old Denon AVR-4800 receiver that is likely at the end of its life as it needs some repair work given that the center and right channels are blown. The tech has told me it'll cost $600 or so to get it fixed, and said it just isn't worth it.

I'm considering replacement options with a budget of no more than $1000, ideally less, while still upgrading the unit instead of throwing money towards getting the old unit fixed up per the techs recommendation.

I'm considering Denon's AVR-3312CI or AVR-3313CI but open to other suggestions. I never came close to fully utilizing the 4800. I used the unit for a combination of music/movies with a 40/60 split. I have a Polk Audio RT-5000 surround setup connected to the AVR for a 5.1 setup with two additional speakers I had laying around connected to fill out to 7.1.

The only sources I currently have are my xbox 360 and a laptop. I would love to be able to run some additional speakers in another room for music purposes if possible. Any insight?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
90,313 Posts
Any model with Audyssey will most likely be an upgrade in audio fidelity. The 3312CI is on clearance sales now and can likely be had for a few hundred less than the 3313CI. Review the first few posts in the Denon AVR-XX12 and AVR-XX13 Owner's threads linked in my sig to compare the differences between the two models and determine which model would work best for you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1421977/denon-avr-4800-replacement-time#post_22253619

Any model with Audyssey will most likely be an upgrade in audio fidelity. The 3312CI is on clearance sales now and can likely be had for a few hundred less than the 3313CI. Review the first few posts in the Denon AVR-XX12 and AVR-XX13 Owner's threads linked in my sig to compare the differences between the two models and determine which model would work best for you.

Feature wise, I'm not sure I even need the 33xxCI - I wonder if a lower end model could suffice, but I come back to the question of power. I know the 4800 is a beast of a receiver and have a hard time swallowing the retirement of such. Do you know if the 23xx or 33xxCI receivers can match the 4800 power wise?

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/1200denon/index.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The room is roughly 11' by 20' with a 8' wide opening to a dining area. The plus side for me is that the rt5000 setup that's connected has amps in the fronts and center so I don't need separate amplification - just want to make sure I have enough to keep up with what the avr-4800 did as I like to turn my music up pretty loud at times. The one thing I want to account for is the possibility of upgrading my speakers in the next five or so years, which likely won't be powered the same.

I think I've it boiled down to either a Denon AVR-3313CI or Onkyo TX-NR818, but the 3312 is tempting given the price right now. Choices.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add some info, my speakers have the following for electrical specs:

Total Frequency Response 18Hz - 26kHz

Lower -3dB Limit 26Hz

Upper -3dB Limit 25kHz

Nominal Impedance 8 ohm

Recommended Amplifier Power 50-500 watts per channel

Efficiency 92 dB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts