AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a good amp to drive a set of M&Ks. I only have about $500 to spend and have been doing as a lot of people have been recommended to do on this forum - to go 2nd hand. I've been offered a Denon and a Yamaha, both of which are older models. I have no care for the video processing/connectivity and am purely interested in the sound quality. Any comments on which may be better?

Probably about 65/35 split of movies/music.

TIA

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Denon 5700 and am using it as a pre/pro right now. I have been very happy with the unit, it is well built and sounds great. I use the DAC's in the Denon when I listen to CD's as they sound better then the Pioneer Elite DV47a universal player's. When I first bought this unit I had some Definitive Technology speakers in a room about 15x18 and it did everything I wanted. I bought some new Montana SPX speakers and moved to a bigger room 17x25 and added a Parasound Halo power amp. From my experience I would go with the Denon.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had the DSP-A1 for 3 years and of the non separates I've owned it was only the 2nd one where I was satisfied with the amp section(old Carver receiver was the other). That includes some recent receivers I've had(Yam 2600/Pio 56TXI).

I don't know about the Denon as I have no experience, but if you only need DD/DTS 5.1 the Yamaha will serve you well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good feedback so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup /forum/post/0

I don't know about the Denon as I have no experience, but if you only need DD/DTS 5.1 the Yamaha will serve you well.

Yes sorry, I forgot to mention this in the original post. I'll only be using it for DD/DTS5.1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.