AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd sure hate to get rid of my Denon AVR 5800 for one small issue (well, I suppose there are some major benefits with new units, like more decoding modes and HDMI switching), but...

I seem to get no signal out of the LFE output (Effect/SB), either the left or the right. I run the speaker test and get silence. If I drive my subwoofer (Definitive powered unit) from another channel like center or front, the sub thunders away nicely. But I really prefer to drive the sub via the LFE channel. I am telling the AVR in setup that there is a subwoofer connected.

Are there any sneaky settings I could have screwed up or is it likely the LFE circuitry in the Denon is fried?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Russ

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Isn't the 5800 just a 5.1 receiver. You should get the redirecter bass from the surround channels - not effect/surround back. Can't remember what options the 5800 has for surround back if any. If it has a 7.1 input you'd have to use an anlog 7.1 source. It may not be able to do bass management on the 7.1 input.

Ed

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I am taking a stab in the dark here, but are you sure you are plugging your Sub into the LFE out and not the Pre amp's Subwoofer connection?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/14226497

I am taking a stab in the dark here, but are you sure you are plugging your Sub into the LFE out and not the Pre amp's Subwoofer connection?

There is only one output. It's labeled SW and not LFE. Sounds like he has it connected properly because he gets redirected sound from fronts and center.

Ed

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here ... but do you have the subwoofer set to On or Yes in the receiver's configuration, and all speakers set to SMALL? If they're all set to large, it won't redirect squat to the subwoofer - the only thing that will play is the LFE track from a Dolby Digital/DTS soundtrack.

Greg

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Hai,

The 5800 (with or without update ?) is a 7.1 with all the formats pre HD formats. It has infact 2 bassmanagerment systems one digital and one analog that is used in pure direct mode. I would first use the test tones to see if you have the correct output and volume is ok. Then check for speaker sizes and mode, you can select things like THX, LFE+MAIN etc etc.

Btw Effect/SB is the wrong output, thats Surround back (left and right) the one under center is the subwoofer, with the SW lettering.

Good luck,

Daniel.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavalle /forum/post/14222241

...I seem to get no signal out of the LFE output (Effect/SB), either the left or the right. I run the speaker test and get silence. If I drive my subwoofer (Definitive powered unit) from another channel like center or front, the sub thunders away nicely. But I really prefer to drive the sub via the LFE channel....
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo /forum/post/14230107

...Btw Effect/SB is the wrong output, thats Surround back (left and right) the one under center is the subwoofer, with the SW lettering.

I don't own a Denon AVR 5800 but given this information I feel I could be correct insofar as it being connected in the wrong slot...What I am curious about is if rlavalle is talking about a stand alone subwoofer or what is in his powered Def Tech towers, which I have no experience.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo /forum/post/14230107

The 5800 (with or without update ?) is a 7.1 with all the formats pre HD formats.

I think that you are thinking of the 5803 and the upgraded 5803A. I don't think that the 5800 had any upgrades. It doesn't even do Dolby PL II let alone PL IIx.

Ed

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/14225876

Isn't the 5800 just a 5.1 receiver.

Here is a review I found stating it is a 7 channel AVR: http://ultimateavmag.com/avreceivers/12/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/14231906

I think that you are thinking of the 5803 and the upgraded 5803A. I don't think that the 5800 had any upgrades. It doesn't even do Dolby PL II let alone PL IIx.

I believe Daniel was talking about actual codecs and not 2 channel re-processing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info folks... it turns out I'm a moron.

The mention of an SW output finally clued me into looking at the manual more carefully. That's the output I need to plug the powered sub into. When I shifted the system around after years of using the first gen 65" Mitsu HD TV, switching to a 65" Mitsu DLP, I must have seen the Effect/SB and thought "Low Freq Effect/Sub".

Duh. When I get back home tonight, I bet when I plug the RCA cable into the SW output (under the Center output), I get my remaining '.1' of my 5.1

I'll test it on my favorite test scene: The Building Attack/Helo scene from the original Matrix.

BTW, the speaker setup is as follows:

Fronts: B&W 640i's

Surrounds: B&W mid sized, forget model.

Center: CC6

I have my speaker sizes set for:

Fronts: Large

Center & Surrounds: Small

This thread has helped in 2 ways: I'm sure my issue is fixed and I'll now try LFE + Main to see if the B&W 640i's can add and smooth the deep base.

Thanks!

Russ

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavalle /forum/post/14244709

Thanks for the info folks... it turns out I'm a moron.

The mention of an SW output finally clued me into looking at the manual more carefully. That's the output I need to plug the powered sub into....

Way to go!
Nothing like a cheap fix. ;-)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavalle /forum/post/14244709

and I'll now try LFE + Main to see if the B&W 640i's can add and smooth the deep base.

This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Ed

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/14231906

Ed

Inccorect info. I bought the avr-5800 and had it upgraded to the avr-5803 years back. Abd it does have Dolby Pro Logic II decoder..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts