AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lightning strike, the Denon AVR-5803 appears to be completely dead. I've confirmed the plug is receiving power yet the red "Standby' LED does not light nor will the receiver come one.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the top off this morning, all the fuses check out OK. Any idea what a repair like this will cost?

I'm considering replacing the receiver as it's a bit out-dated now but there doesn't seem to be anything comperable on the market today. I have B&W 802Ns and they need alot of good clean power to really crank them up. Even at 170 WPC, the 5803 sometimes clipped at high volumes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, started a claim yesterday. Not only did I loose the receiver but also lost a 55" LCD TV, a TiVo, a kitchen TV, several "smart" light switches and some other electronics in the home. Probably about $10k of loss if you add it all up.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina /forum/post/20845654

Took the top off this morning, all the fuses check out OK. Any idea what a repair like this will cost?

I'm considering replacing the receiver as it's a bit out-dated now but there doesn't seem to be anything comperable on the market today. I have B&W 802Ns and they need alot of good clean power to really crank them up. Even at 170 WPC, the 5803 sometimes clipped at high volumes.

Denon 4311 with a 2 channel amp is a good replacement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. You're the second person to recommend the 4311, I'll do some research but what are the highlights of the 4311?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina /forum/post/20846826

Interesting. You're the second person to recommend the 4311, I'll do some research but what are the highlights of the 4311?

11.2 preout and/or 9 channel powerful internal amps. Reliable and high quality audio and video. Almost 1 year old and still offers more features and functions than any pre/pro around except xlr. Doesn't have that. Some of the best room correction available including dual subwoofers. The price hasn't dropped a lick because it works good with everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts