AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after months of saving, i can finally purchase the avr of my dreams, the denon avr 5803, which has everything i need:

- ac-3 rf input for laserdiscs

- phono kack for lp's

- thx sound modes

- extra surround option (not height, wide or back surrounds)

- plenty of power

this is the one for me, but my mean mother won't let me take a risk and buy it!

any commments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, just bossy and over protective.

i had to purchase my Pioneer CLD-D704 laserdisc player behind her back.

she is the woman of the house, and newer denon avr's are not as good.

any advice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't like the newer models, and all the new features can go.

really don't need or want Audyssey MultEQ, Audyssey DSX, those hd enhancements (dolby true hd, dts ma)

besides, i'd save money on the extra surround speakers and built in ac-3 demodulator for the laserdisc.

also due to the fact that older avr's generally are better.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I had a Denon 5803 back in the day and held onto it until 2008 when I upgraded to the Denon 5308ci. I'd only touch this if you have absolutely NO interest in lossless audio, HDMI, 1080p, or room correction. A better choice would be a Denon AVR-3808ci as it has most of the modern features along with legacy inputs. The amp section is weaker than the 5803 but nothing an external amp can't fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
room correction---pass.

lossless audio--can live without, analog and old school is my bag!\

new features--get lost (don't need no dolby truehd or hdmi)

it saves me the trouble of not having to purchase an ac-3 demodulator (that would mean 2 power outlets) or phono jack for my turntable.

besides, i've seen the back of the new models, not impressed.

·
Registered
29,088 Posts
Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind to buy the 5803. You should go ahead and purchase it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm giving my mom 2 days to think about it (i'm gonna grill her ass, take drastic action...if need be)

she can't tell me how to spend MY money!

still got any advice to help me win?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
I owned an AVR-5803A for 8 years. It was a workhorse and I sold it on eBay over a year ago. Excellent receiver for its time. If you find one, make sure it has the Denon Link 3 upgrade (that indicates it is the A model).

I have an AVR-5308A (with latest 3D plus other upgrades) now. Wouldn't trade the 5308A for the 5803A because of the Audyssey sound processing. It cleared up so much in the room. And, when I'm listening to music, I don't have to be at reference level to hear the same tonal quality. Makes a big difference with peace in the household.

However, if you are set on the 5803A, you'll gain the LD AC3 input (if you can keep a LD going). A few more analog inputs as well.

About 9 years ago, my dream receiver was a AVR-5805 (the Dreadnaught!). When it was finally time to upgrade the 5803A, I went back and looked at a refurbed 5805A and just couldn't justify it. Time had passed it by for the price.

However, if you can get a 5803A with the upgrade and at a decent price (check eBay for sold items), then you'll be happy with the receiver as long as you don't need HDMI (which I used a separate matrix switcher to handle). Also make sure you have a Radio Shack sound meter for balancing the 7.1-channel audio. I still use that even with Audyssey to confirm the readings (they are sometimes up to 2dB off).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I Was gonna say to her

"Carla, if you prevent me from buying what I WANT, i will hate you 'til the day i die, i won't forgive you, no more bringing your laptop"
(my emoticon would be pissed as hell)

my pioneer d704 laserdisc player is working perfectly, ready for ac-3 and dts playback (once i get the 5803, and 2 dts movies)

can anyone tell me how the variable crossover filter works in the 5803--is it per speaker, what?

also, the 5805 is too heavy for me, that would break my back...and my shelf!

·
Registered
29,088 Posts
Part of this thread is childish to me. Why do you need us to help convince your mom to let you spend YOUR money?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts