AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I noticed that there are several ebay auctions going on for the Denon AVR-5805. This receiver is a flag ship high end model which has a MSRP of $6000.00 or more. But, on ebay, it goes for less than $700???

The sellers who sell this model for less than $1000.00 are not in the US (either from the UK or Romania). Are these auctions legitimate? They indicate on the auction to contact them directly, instead of bidding???

I contacted a seller in Romania and he agreed to sell it to me for $350 including shipping. He asked for my ebay user id, name, address. How come they are selling this high end receiver for a fraction of the cost???

Is it an easy to use receiver? Does it require professional installation and set up?

What are other things I need to know about this receiver? It is for home use?

Anyone has any input?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq /forum/post/0

Hi,

I noticed that there are several ebay auctions going on for the Denon AVR-5805. This receiver is a flag ship high end model which has a MSRP of $6000.00 or more. But, on ebay, it goes for less than $700???

The sellers who sell this model for less than $1000.00 are not in the US (either from the UK or Romania). Are these auctions legitimate? They indicate on the auction to contact them directly, instead of bidding???

I contacted a seller in Romania and he agreed to sell it to me for $350 including shipping. He asked for my ebay user id, name, address. How come they are selling this high end receiver for a fraction of the cost???

Is it an easy to use receiver? Does it require professional installation and set up?

Anyone has any input?

With discounts like that, sounds like its probably a scam

...If it sounds too good to be true...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not only this model but other models such as avr-4806. many auction listings on this model as well.

Let's say if i go ahead and send the money with ebay/paypal assurance guarantee for product return and such. will i be able to claim with ebay/paypal if the seller does not send the item or sends the item that does not work?

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you purchase the item outside of bidding on eBay, then eBay rules do not apply. If you never get the item and pay using PayPal, you may never see your money again. They may just string you along until they get the money. Why would he need your eBay ID if you are not bidding on his item?

As someone already stated: If it's good to be true, it probably is.

alinski

·
Registered
130 Posts
please do not purchase that item...

you are going to get ripped off in some shape...

if it looks like it's too good to be true...? yeah it's probably not...

hell, i'm hesitant to buy the 987 i keep seeing on there for $730... just seems too cheap...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and this is what the seller's response was. i asked him if anything that i needed to know about this receiver, his response was nothing. i then searched the ebay auction link and it's no longer there. he told me "it's ebay's error. the auction has not yet ended."

Dear Potential Customer,

The item is BRAND NEW,with all the accesories mentioned in the

description.The best price that i can give you is 500 US Dollars with all

shipping and taxes included .If the price is to expensive tell me your best

price please and if i'm agree we will have a deal.

I have more than one unit available.I can provide big discounts if you will

buy more than one unit . If you are interested to buy this product ,we can

make this transaction through eBay and is 100%safe for both of us and eBay

will contact you shortly with the

further details. Ebay will send you an Invoice and there you'll have more

details about the transaction and payment.I Will use for shipping DHL

Service

All the manuals and the warranty papers are in English.

The buyer will receive this item sealed ,along with all papers and receipts

that he needs for an international warranty.

The item is in Europe,Romania where I own an electric store and it will be

shipped from here on my expences.

To set up our transaction I need the following info:

Your ebay user id: ...

First Name: ...

Last name: ...

Address: ...

City: ...

State: ...

Zip: ...

Name of unit and the price

I will contact ebay as soon as i receive the info.

In shortly you must receive an invoice from ebay. You must read carefully

the invoice and

there you will have all instructions about payment and shipping.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq /forum/post/0

Hi,

Anyone has any input?

Anytime you see an auction where the selling is asking you to contact directly, its a case of a hacked ebay account. The owner of the account doesn't even know that his account is being used to sell a big ticket item for a price that is too good to be true. Soon you will see the item dissappear as ebay's scam detectors find it and remove it. Also be wary of invoices that ask you to log-in to paypal and steal your paypal info using a fake site or some kind of browser hack.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stay away. You will be more satisfied by taking $350 in cash and burning it. Because that is what is going to happen to you if you go any further. I list, on ebay, high ticket golf equipment from time to time and it never fails that I receive questions regarding an identical item with same item number also listed from a foreign source. Ebay never fails to email me a warning about these questions from the other lister.

So stay away.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Oh I don't know if you should ignore this deal. Sometimes there are great bargins to be had.

For example:

"Turnaround Alaskan spring cruise

8 nights on a 5 star liner with all amentities. Leaving Los Angeles May 5, arriving Vancouver May 14

Includes airfare to L.A. and return air from Vancouver

Value $7800 pp - Our price $312"

"1958 Corvette Convertible completely rebuilt from the frame up. Beautiful Bahama yellow finish with white trim and interior. You've seen them go on the Barrett-Jackson auction for over $100,000. Our price $2385"

"Brand new Dell XPS M2010 Notebook computer

Retail $3766 - Our price $168"

For these and other great deals, contact me directly:
[email protected]

Sorry No Visa

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Ok,, now think to yourself on this one....

Those AVR's go for way way way more used. I mean, even at $2K they get sucked up in an instant.

Nobody is going to sell you something for $350 that they could easily and quickly get $2K for, period.

Heck legit 4802's like I just replaced are still going for $600-ish......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.