Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my receiver back today.

After I had spent the time (and $800 USD) to very carefully pack and double box it before I sent it in for the upgrade, Denon shipped it back to me only in it's original container. The exterior of the box was pretty beat up, and when I opened it, discovered my freshly upgraded AVR-580X broken.

The styrofoam on the bottom was pulverized, and the flip down door on the front of the unit is completely broken off and scratched. Also, somehow an appreciable amount of fine brown dust (dirt), got into the box and pretty well coated it the receiver. Have not plugged it in for fear of what might happen.

It's been a few hours, and I must say, I'm still fuming! When I loan something to somebody that I paid $3K for, I expect them to treat it with the same care that I do. Ever hear of double-boxing????!

Phoned the repair facility immediately (Torrance, CA), and they are sending a shipping label to once again place it into the hands of the "destructors" (aka 'men in brown'). They said they would do a full evaluation and repair anything that was wrong. This shouldn't even be necessary.

Bottom line, my 'new' 580X has been turned into a factory "B" refurb, and I'm going to be stuck with a lesser receiver than I purchased due to other's negligence. Owners BEWARE!

Sorry for venting, but in the words of Steve Martin, "Ecuuuuuuse ME, but I'm P****D!"

(will be on the road next 3 days, so any replies from me will have to wait until then)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
sorry to hear that your receiver was destroyed by Brown. they are well known to bust things up real good. maybe request that Denon ship your receiver back using FedEx. i've had very good success with them on various things i've purchased.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
UPS busted up an equipment rack I ordered a few weeks back and had to return to the vendor. I'm still fighting them over the insurance claim. ALWAYS INSURE YOUR PACKAGE!! Even when the damage was clearly their fault, they usually still give you the standard "insufficient packing" line and make filing a claim as difficult as possible hoping you'll give up and forget about it. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
My AVR-5800 was damaged beyond repair by UPS also. Mine was shipped to the NJ facility and I found out from Denon today that 3 have been destroyed by UPS so far. You should e-mail Jeff Talmadge and let him know what happened, I sent him a note and he said he would try to help.

Scott

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
A good rule of thumb for shipping is if it's a package with bulk or weight ship it FedEx (even though it's more expensive). If it's a smaller lighter package it's usually safe via UPS and cheaper!

A couple of years ago I bought 6 JBL 15" three-way speakers and 5 of the 6 had damage of some sort on them! And one of them looked as if it was dropped from a 4 story building as it was totally destroyed with all four sides of the cabinet seperated with drivers hanging lose. Luckily I didn't have problems with their insurance (I guess because it was SO outrageously damaged) and 4 of the 4 speakers weren't damaged bad at all so I contaced the company I bought them from and I told them how destroyed they all were and they just told me to throw them away as it wasn't worth it for them to pay shipping to get them back. So I ended up with 4 free speakers (just a bit of corner damage that was fixable) and a fifth speakers that I could use the drivers for backups for the other speakers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was a supervisor at UPS for a long time, the dirt is because it sat under a belt until it could be retapped. Unfortunatly they should have processed it as a damege and not let it go!! It makes me made that the employee sent it on. That fact of the matter is Denon does not do things half A** when it comes to repair IME you will not be getting a B stock Just a brand new face plate. Sorry and good luck!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
A good rule of thumb for shipping is if it's a package with bulk or weight ship it FedEx (even though it's more expensive). If it's a smaller lighter package it's usually safe via UPS and cheaper!
Not true, at least not in my experience. I've priced out both UPS and FedEx for large packages and UPS is more expensive by a significant amount. They may offer a special rate to companies that ship out in volume which may be why lots of companies still go with brown. IME, brown stands for s**t.:D Fill in the blanks however you like, but after 3 pairs of damaged speakers, I NEVER ship brown. So as I mentioned before, ask for return shipping via FedEx. Enuf said!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Another Story... Purchased a Sony 24" GDP trinitron computer monitor off of Ubid six months ago. First one came UPS overnight. It was crushed. Monitor stand was destroyed and there were wires hanging all over. Second try, UPS. Lens was cracked. Third try. Fed Ex overnight. Lens was cracked. Fourth try. Fed EX AM delivery. Lens was foggy and cracked from a bash in the side.

These monitors are very, very heavy and the packaging was not a first class job I admit from the seller. However, you would have thought after four tries, I would have been lucky to receive a good one. I cancelled the order of course, (what a hassle with ubid if you have dealt with them) but I think both shippers have problems at times.

I've had computers, speakers and other heavy items delivered by both companies. Most of the time they do a fairly good job.

However, when they screw up, it makes life difficult and leaves a lasting impression. "Ecuuuuuuse ME, but I'm P****D!" Sorry Jetlag about your receiver. I do hope this all works out for you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why UPS is a terrible carrier:

1. Too many reports of tremendous damage done by their min. wage

handlers.

2. Cross-border and UNDISCLOSED brokerage charges that can

sometimes cost even more than the actual shipping costs.

3. Dealing with UPS as an entity. Not for the feint hearted.

Use USPS, FEDEX, anyone but UPS.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,198 Posts
Why isn't Denon double boxing these before sending them back??

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back into town, and thought, "why not just try it out?"

plugged it in, hit the switch, NADA!

Upon closer inspection, appears the unit sustained more damage than previously stated.

Was in perfect condition when it left their upgrade facility, so at least they will have to fight UPS and not me!

Jetlag

"silence is golden,...

unless it's silent because your receiver got f'd up by someone else's negligence!"

·
Registered
568 Posts
Curious to hear of the various complaints about UPS. I work remotely and I have to have equipment shipped to me all the time - heavy stuff, too. Big servers, disk arrays, etc. I've had -less- trouble with FedEx than UPS, but not a lot less. I had one server arrive via FedEx with all eight of its boards physically "shot" out of the card cage. This particular machine has four slots on the front and four on the back (they're not PCI slots, it's not that bad!), so the system was clearly shocked on both front and back. It was, thankfully, shipped in a heavy-duty metal case with foam insides, so no damage was acdtually sustained. However, it takes an incredible whack to get those boards out, and there were serious abrasion marks on the corners, so it's clear that the box fell from some significant height or slid down a long ramp more than once.

Bottom line: insure anything valuable. When it's my stuff, I take digital pictures when it leaves. Thankfully most of this pictures are just tossed a couple of days later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As expected, UPS has denied my claim, they told me they didn't see any damage to the box or the packing(even though Denon says both were damaged)and that the receiver had to have been damaged by someone else.

Scott

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jetlag
Just got back into town, and thought, "why not just try it out?"

plugged it in, hit the switch, NADA!

Upon closer inspection, appears the unit sustained more damage than previously stated.

Was in perfect condition when it left their upgrade facility, so at least they will have to fight UPS and not me!

Jetlag

"silence is golden,...

unless it's silent because your receiver got f'd up by someone else's negligence!"
I blame Denon, those upgrades should be done at local authorized service centers in your area.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Any news on this mess? Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor55
I blame Denon, those upgrades should be done at local authorized service centers in your area.
Then the upgrades would probably cost about 50% more to give the independent repair place their margin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jetlag,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I have ready other horror stories on UPS and the heavy 5800. I know this is no comfort, but I was one of the first group of upgraders. My 5800 was sent double boxed and insured for $3K and returned in a double box. It works great. My 5800 had a couple of problems that may have been caused by a power surge which prompted me to send it in for the upgrade.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I had 2 TV's broken that I had shipped first by UPS and then by FedEX. I have also had several speakers broken by ups. It was much easier to get my money from the claim for UPS than from FEDEX. It took like 6 month to finally get a check from FEDEX.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I feel fortunate. I sent my 5800 in the original packing in a single box...and it got there unscathed. I received it unharmed today--but it came in a box almost three times the size of the original, tons of peanuts, and FedExed! I guess Denon was taking no chances this time around.

On a side note, this is an awesome upgrade. I have an upgraded 5800 in one room and a 5803 in the other room. I believe I am in Denon heaven right now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.