AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I purchased an AVR-789 yesterday and am having an issue with it. I had it hooked up and running only the FM tuner and things were fine. When I went to hook up my cable tv via the hdmi on the unit, and then changed the input source via the remote, something inside seemed to arc and a puff of smoke came out of it. From then on the power button on the front flashed red very quickly. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, power cycled and let it cool down as per the manual. Quickly flashing red apparently means the main circuit is malfunctioning. Nothing helped. In my un-professional opinion the receiver is fried, and I'm going to carry it back tomorrow when the stores open up again. What I'm wondering is if there's some way that incorrectly connecting components or speakers would cause a receiver to blow like this. I've had receivers for years and would have never expected something like this even if I connected the negative and positive terminals for the speakers with a piece of wire. Anyone have a similar experience with this unit, or have any thoughts on why this might have happened?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
If smoke came out of it by plugging in a hdmi cable and switching the unit on, it is a defective unit. Nothing that you connect to the AVR should cause that king of reaction imo, unless of course, it is hit by lightning...power surge
. Just take it back and get another. Unfortunately, these things happen with electronics sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.