AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whatsup everyone? Im new on these forums, but from what I can see I'll be sticking around.

I just picked up a Denon avr-791 along with a pair of polk rti a3 speakers and a energy esw-c10 sub.

When I first got them I setup everything correctly, messed around with all the settings for a bit and got everything working and sounding like I wanted. I turned off the reciever and the next morning when I got up I couldnt get any sound from the sub. I have played with every single setting that the reciever alows me to mess with but cant more than a very minimal sound from the sub (and only if I turn it up all the way) I have everything hooked up through hdmi.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Hi thatkidhugo, what are the speaker settings (Large, Small) and what's the sub channel level trim set at?

- is the sub status indicator light on?

- have you try another sub cable?

- did you test the sub?

To test the sub try connecting a portable CD player, MP3 or iPod player (using the headphone output jack) to sub Line In R & L (a mini to 2RCA cable require) and then turn up the volume of the player. Or use a CD or DVD player with analog output to sub Line In R & L (lower down the sub volume knob before turning On CD or DVD player) and then slowly raise the volume level on the subwoofer, you should hear the bass portion from the source.

If still no go try resetting the receiver microprocessor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The speakers are set to small

Under bass settings I have LFE+main at 100hz

"is the sub status indicator light on"

Im assuming your asking if the sub is powered on? Yes

The sub works fine, I have tested it.

How would I reset the reciever? Sorry im a noob when it comes to home theatre

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
Press the STANDARD button on the remote and get out of the DSP Mult Ch Stereo mode. That should resolve your problem, otherwise you can always start over by resetting the microprocessor (p. 78) and do AUTO SETUP again.
Lol I think Ive pressed every single button on this remote still.. womp womp womp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie
You're getting test tones from the sub? What does the 791 set your sub trim to after AUTO SETUP?
Yeah I am but they are very low, even with the volume at about half way. It says my sub is 17.3ft away when its only about 6ft from the mic, but im sure thats just due to the sub sounding so low.

Under channel level check it says the sub is at -8.5 db

·
Premium Member
93,281 Posts
The sub "distance" is a delay factor rather than the actual distance as is the case with the surround speakers. The sub test tones will be low as they are more felt than heard. In fact the Denon is getting too much bass from the sub which is why it's set at -8db. The volume the Denon is set at before running AUTO SETUP is ignored, rather a standard 75db test tone is sent to each speaker and the Denon adjusts each channel's trim level accordingly.

Also, have you tried manually increasing the sub channel to 0db using the remote control CH LEVEL button?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19594627

The sub "distance" is a delay factor rather than the actual distance as is the case with the surround speakers. The sub test tones will be low as they are more felt than heard. In fact the Denon is getting too much bass from the sub which is why it's set at -8db. The volume the Denon is set at before running AUTO SETUP is ignored, rather a standard 75db test tone is sent to each speaker and the Denon adjusts each channel's trim level accordingly.

Also, have you tried manually increasing the sub channel to 0db using the remote control CH LEVEL button?

Yeah I tried that to.. looks like im going to have to pickup another sub wire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts