AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure if I'm comparing apples to apples here, but I'm trying to determine which one of these AVRs to go with. I very recently picked up the AVR 887 as part of package deal at CC. After using it for a week, and finding that it lacks some flexibility, I'm considering the Onkyo. I've found the SR804 available online for the same price I paid for the avr887.

I've already hooked everything up to the Denon, I don't know if its worth disconnecting everything and going through returns. I'm curious if anyone has spent time and auditioned these two AVRs and found a winner.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coeus /forum/post/0

Not really sure if I'm comparing apples to apples here, but I'm trying to determine which one of these AVRs to go with. I very recently picked up the AVR 887 as part of package deal at CC. After using it for a week, and finding that it lacks some flexibility, I'm considering the Onkyo. I've found the SR804 available online for the same price I paid for the avr887.

I've already hooked everything up to the Denon, I don't know if its worth disconnecting everything and going through returns. I'm curious if anyone has spent time and auditioned these two AVRs and found a winner.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you'll hear a difference in sound so don't go through the hassle for that. I went with the 804 after playing around with both receivers at CC. The 804 is much easier to setup in my opinion and I think it's display is a lot less cluttered as well.

What flexibility are you needing? Are you sure the 804 has it?

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty /forum/post/0

I don't think you'll hear a difference in sound so don't go through the hassle for that. I went with the 804 after playing around with both receivers at CC. The 804 is much easier to setup in my opinion and I think it's display is a lot less cluttered as well.

What flexibility are you needing? Are you sure the 804 has it?

Greg

Specifically more control over the sub. I purchased the KEF 3005 package, but the sub has no controls on itself. Personally, I think the denon does a great job powering the thing from movies, but when playing music, I can't get the sub to perform with denon's adjustments.

From fiddling with the 804 at CC, it seems as though it has more flexibility with regard to sub gain overall, and at diff freq.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.