1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi!

I need help with this:

I have a DENON AVR E300 receiver.

Actually I listen to my vinyls with a cheap crossly turntable connected to that DENON with RCA cables and using the MEDIA PLAYER input.

The sound came from the speakers but a little low.

I want to buy a PRO JECT CARBON TURN TABLE.

Can I use that turntable with my actual Denon? DO I need a PRE AMP or something else?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hi, the Project is a really decent TT and will be a huge upgrade from what you are currently using. Check over at www.vinylengine.com to get some recommendations for a phono preamp . I was using the built in preamp in my Yamaha aventage but have since upgraded to Project TubeBox SE II . The boys at VE can hook you up with a good Preamp that will fit your budget.

Richard

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
First of all, you do not seem to understand that the music, as it comes off of the record, is not intended to be listened to as it is.

In the record mastering process, RIAA equalization is applied to every record.

This means that the bass is reduced by a huge amount, and the treble is boosted a similar amount. That is the garbage that is actually on the record. You can't just play it back. It won't be anything like the original recording.

A phono preamp applies the reverse equalization needed to restore the sound to a listenable condition...lol (in addition to a lot of overall gain).

Trying to listen to a record without equalization is basically listening to garbage.

To better understand the vinyl recording and playback process, look up "RIAA EQUALIZATION" at Wikipedia.

I recommend that you get a reasonably good Phono Preamp if you want decent sound quality.

The Pro-ject MM is around $100 and is pretty good; that will get you started.

Look at Needle Doctor under "Budget Phono Preamps" for the best selection around.

The Musical Fidelity V90-LPS phono preamp is an excellent one for around $220.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts