AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound quality is very good, and I've gone through the setup. I'm not getting a ton of volume though, and not sure how much I should be getting.

Volume for watching TV and movies is about right at 60 db by the setting showing on the display. I'm getting almost no volume at 30 db. Does that sound about right or should it be louder?

Main space is 18 x 14, with an open area roughly the same size off to one side and a hallway off to the other. Speakers are Sony Core series bookshelfs with matching center. Also two Boston Acoustic surround speakers mounted in ceiling and a Cambridge Audio Minx x200 ultra compact sub.

I just feel like I should be getting more volume with this setup and I feel like I'm getting something wrong in the setup. Any ideas? Seems to be the same with bluray and cable tv. (Using HDMI for all connections)

FYI complete newb to this stuff. Last audio system was a pioneer receiver and the first polk audio soundbar (in a new house now so this basement is quite a bit larger).

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
90,413 Posts
Volume for watching TV and movies is about right at 60 db by the setting showing on the display. I'm getting almost no volume at 30 db. Does that sound about right or should it be louder?
Denon AVRs use a logarithmic volume scale such that the average volume level will be 50-70, so yes, that sounds about right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the replies.

I'm pretty much stuck with what I've got right now. As I said, the sound quality is great but of course I"d like a little more volume. That being said, if I wanted to move up to a little more thump what would be my best option without breaking the bank? New receiver or bigger/better speakers?

·
Premium Member
11,463 Posts
jthompsonjr said:
That being said, if I wanted to move up to a little more thump what would be my best option without breaking the bank? New receiver or bigger/better speakers?
A better sub. One option is the well-rated SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days).

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Where are your channel trims set @??
For every +dB on a channel trim, the master volume will decrease 1dB..

Also note that master volume software is designed for minimal changes in its 1st 50% range as to provide finer adjustments of lower volume levels..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are your channel trims set @??
For every +dB on a channel trim, the master volume will decrease 1dB..

Also note that master volume software is designed for minimal changes in its 1st 50% range as to provide finer adjustments of lower volume levels..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Did I mention I was a newb? :) I have no idea what my channel trims are, much less what they are set at.

Any tips on that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts