AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on a new AVR with a budget of $500. One must-have feature is 2 HDMI outputs so that the system can power my living room with 5.1+video and my bedroom with 2.0+video. This desire seems to limit my choices quite a bit and I seem to have decided between either the Denon avr-s900w or Sony STR-DN1050. Any thoughts on which would be better, or other models that might be good?

Right now I just have Klipsch RB-51ii speakers but plan on upgrading to the RF-8s when new models arrive.

·
Premium Member
93,261 Posts
The S900W can only pass a main zone video signal to the second display. In order to pass the audio to Zone 2 to use the Zone 2 speaker posts, you would need to connect an analog cable from the HDMI source to the AVR. The X3100W can pass both video/audio to the second TV via an Zone 2 HDMI output as well as able to pass PCM 2.0 to the Zone 2 speaker posts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, I was unaware of that. The specs for that second output are very hard to follow. The X3100W you mentioned is a little out of my price range. What are the exact capibilities of the Sony STR-DN1050?

I would like independant audio/video on both zones, but if that is not possible in my price range I can settle for mirrored, picking one or the other and having full capibilities on either.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I seem to have decided between either the Denon avr-s900w or Sony STR-DN1050. Any thoughts on which would be better, or other models that might be good?
If AirPlay is an important feature for you, Sony's implementation has proven to be more stable. There have been numerous AirPlay issues reported on various Denon/Marantz Models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts