AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone out there has a Denon AVR-687, I hope you can help me with a

few things.

1. I went through the audio setup (actually, blundered through it).

Is it possible to display the setup on the monitor? (I pretty well know the answer is no, but the manual IMPLIES that you should have the monitor on). Can you lead me

through the actual setup using one of the diagrams in the manual or a

button description? I would like to do it from the front panel of the Denon.

2. Can the unit display any information on the monitor such as the

volume level and other prompts?

3. Is there any place to obtain Denon specific information on the

internet other than the Denon website?

4. How much better would it be to use the digital coax/optical audio

connections than the standard line connections? I have the DVD

recorder in the main path from the cable box to the receiver and it

does not have passthrough digital audio.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Are you asking how much better optical / coax is than 2 channel analog? That difference is enormous on surround performance. 2 channel only carries basic ancient Pro-logic type surround data.

With a Denon AVR, well most all AVR's it is not feasable to set them up properly without hooking up a display to them. Just chuck an svideo cable over to your display for this purpose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure that the AVR-687 displays on the monitor? Another fellow felt that it did not have this ability. I don't see anything on screen from this receiver. How do I get it to put anything on screen as a test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the question still stands: Does the AVR 687 display the setup on a monitor? If so, how do I get it to do that?. It appears that this is still in question. I get some to say yes, some to say no.

Digital coax or optical is the way to go and I would like to use the digital outputs from my cable box into my receiver. My DVD recorder has only digital optical out--no digital audio input. I would like to record from the cable box and monitor the output of the DVD recorder. How do I do both have the use of my DVD recorder AND get digital sound? Of course the AV receiver is not designed to patch a recorder in and out of the signal path.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.