AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi! I'm looking for a new AV Receiver and my current search has pointed me to Denon AVR-X2000 (The other serious contender right now being Yamaha RX-V775). However, I seem to be in a sort-of unique position, that I need BOTH optical in AND HDMI in for audio (obviously not at the same time) with just one (HDMI) video signal.

I've read through the Denon manual, but I'm unable to find specifics of how the receiver works concerning this need.

Okay, so the manual says I can assign inputs pretty much however I choose, yes? BUT, can I choose one HDMI input for multiple inputs? Say I have two settings, named "Games" and "Movies". Can I do this:

Movies: HDMI-1 Video + HDMI-1 Audio

Games; HDMI-1 Video + Optical Audio

And just change between them via the quick select buttons?

AND/OR, can I do this:

Just one settings . let's say named "Computer".

I connect both HDMI and Optical connections. Then in the Audio Type menu I select "Auto" (it allows "Digital", and "HDMI" also).

Can the receiver then play sounds from BOTH optical audio AND HDMI audio, depending on what the source sends?

In all cases the output will be HDMI for video and audio via speakers. HDMI and optical audio will NOT output at the same time, as far as I know.

Why I need this? - read on if you want the full explanation.

I'm connecting my computer to the receiver (and possible few other sources, but that shouldn't matter). My Music/Movie sounds will be output through the HDMI (via nVidia GTX680) in 2.0 - 7.1, depending on source. The sound will be unaltered by the computer (as much as possible.) I will also connect my X-Fi Titanium soundcard via optical to the receiver and all my game audio will be output via that (processed by the soundcard/software as much as needed, encoded in DDL5.1 or DTS5.1). This way I will get to enjoy both "pure" movie soundtracks and processed game audio. In the latter case, it would be ideal if the receiver could upmix that 5.1 to 7.1, though that's not a deal breaker.

In the case of the Yamaha, I know (I've read the manual) that I can save some settings behind the SCENE buttons. However the manual does not specify what gets saved. So if I set SCENE-1 as HDMI video, optical audio and save that. If I then set the HDMI input to use HDMI audio, will that overwrite what was saved in the SCENE, or can I just save this new setting into SCENE-2 and quickly switch between them by hitting the respective SCENE buttons?

I *think* I'd prefer the Denon (I heard that Audyssey is better than the Yamaha alternative and that the MultiEQ in the Denon is superior to YPAO. But the Yamaha has analog pre-out, which I would like to have.) I don't know though, I've never owned either. My current receiver is a Sony STR-DB930 from -99/00...

If both receivers can do what I want, feel free to praise your receiver of choice and tell me why should I get either one.

ps. What does NOT matter to me in the slightest: WiFi, Power (watts), iPod/iPhone connectivity, Spotify (etc.), multi-room (zones) or sound quality (to a point, yes, but... most of my music is in mp3 format and I'm incapable of hearing anything beyond 14kHz.) 

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Both manuals are available for download. Best to read both to see if they can do what you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1525354/denon-avr-x2000-or-yamaha-rx-v775-question-about-how-settings-are-saved#post_24557200

Both manuals are available for download. Best to read both to see if they can do what you want.
If you note above in the opening post, I said I've read through the Denon manual (I've done the same with the Yamaha), but they don't explicitly come out and say if that'll work or no. 

The Denon manual says, under "Input Mode":
Quote:
 Input Mode

Set the audio input modes for the different input sources.

It is normally recommended to set the audio input mode to “Auto”.

Auto (Default) : Automatically detect input signal and perform playback.

HDMI : Play only signals from HDMI input.

Digital : Play only signals from digital input.

Analog : Play only signals from analog input.

But it also notes, under "Input Assign":
Quote:

TV set top box/satellite users please note

When using the optical digital audio output on a TV/satellite box

To play the video signal assigned to “HDMI” combined with the audio 

signal assigned at “Input Assign” – “DIGITAL”, you will also need to 

select “Digital” in the “Input Mode” (vpage 140).

But that doesn't tell me whether the "Auto" setting will automatically change between "Digital" and "HDMI", or if the "Digital" settings is REQUIRED to have optical audio of any kind when using HDMI connection. 

Kind of same with the Yamaha manual, it tells me I can save settings to the SCENE modes, but it doesn't specify exactly WHAT settings are saved and how. (namely, does the audio mode get saved under the input assignment OR the selected scene mode.)

This is why I'm asking (hopefully) people who own and/or have access to said receivers and could perhaps tell more specifically than the manual. Like jdsmoothie here told me (thank you) that I can't assign the same physical input to multiple logical inputs (which the manual does NOT mention).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1525354/denon-avr-x2000-or-yamaha-rx-v775-question-about-how-settings-are-saved#post_24558986

Again, on Denon AVRs there generally is no automatic switch, as HDMI will always have priority. in order to use optical with HDMI, you must select "Digital".
That's a bummer, but thanks for the info. I was really hoping the "Auto" switch would do exactly that. Do you happen to know if that is true even if the HDMI signal does not contain audio at all? (I don't know if it does, even if no sound is set to output via the HDMI, it may still output a "blank" signal.) But in the even it does not output HDMI audio at all when it is not selected, do you think that the "Auto" position will work? 

I find it odd that the receiver has a setting called "auto", which isn't really an auto switch at all, then. If it does work with Digital/Analog only, IMO the manual should mention this explicitly that it can't autodetect between HDMI/Digital. (also, maybe OT a bit, but how would the Digital/Analog detection even work? My receiver - for example - will always detect an optical audio output even if no audio is sent through it, as long as it is connected and the other side of the cable has a powered-on source - a minidisc or my computer.) 

Well, does anyone know ANY receivers that has that kind of functionality? The ability to either save two logical settings with one physical video connection and two physical audio connections OR then having autodetect between HDMI/Optical?

ps. Funny fact: Having that in the manual, but it not working with HDMI/Digital would be grounds for legally returning a product as defective here in Finland. I doubt Denon (or anyone for that matter) cares much about that, but anyway :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts