AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Denon AVR X2100W and PS4 problem - solved

Hi,

got me a AVR-X2100W as upgrade for my AVR-1804, and tried to connect my Sat, PS4, Media-PC and BluRay via HDMI. Everything worked fine except Sat (which has handshake issues) and PS4 (which doesn't work correctly)

I could fix the handshake issue of Sat by connecting it to the TV (not really my desired solution, is this a commom problem for all AV-Recivers or just Denon?)

PS4 is strange, and my unit might be broken, so can please anyone try the following:

- Set X2100W to Input of PS4
- Turn PS4 on
- turn PS4 completly off (NOT rest mode)
- turn PS4 on

Expected result: audio and video
My result: just audio, video only after swichting input to another port and back again :mad:

I tried this on several ports and changed the HDMI-Cable - no change. With other sources (Media-PC, Sat) the off-on game works fine, even on the same ports where PS4 doesnt work.

It would be great if anyone could verify this.

cheers
Sockenelk

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sad to say, didn't work out.

Tried every video setting on the PS4 in every combination (resolution, RBG range, yY pb/cb pr/cr range deep color output) and HDMI device link - no change

:crying:

If i try to let the receiver find the input in the setup, it doesn't find it. in the information/video section it shows that it does have a video signal, though I do not have a picture....

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Denon is famous for hdmi handshake problems. Don't settle for lame work arounds.
Replace that unit and if still has that problem with good cables switch brands of
receiver. Yamaha will work for sure.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I don't have a PS4 (PS3), but have you tried limiting the PS4 to only output 1080p?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Someone has the same issues with a PS4 and a Yamaha 2040 AVR! Only way he got it to work other than 480p resolution, was to disable hdcp on the PS...

So unlike Kikenit2 suggested, switching to a Yamaha avr, wont solve your issue either!

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Looks like you found a solution, but I'll just add that Denon AVRs are very picky about HDMI cables. I have dealt with the same problem for years - video drops out, audio remains. Replugging or replacing the cable has fixed it for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you found a solution, but I'll just add that Denon AVRs are very picky about HDMI cables. I have dealt with the same problem for years - video drops out, audio remains. Replugging or replacing the cable has fixed it for me.
this was my first thought, I tried several cables, even bought a new one, nothing helped though

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Someone has the same issues with a PS4 and a Yamaha 2040 AVR! Only way he got it to work other than 480p resolution, was to disable hdcp on the PS... So unlike kikkenit2 suggested, switching to a Yamaha avr, wont solve your issue either!
In this case the receiver wasn't the fault for ps4 problem either brand.
The Denon still has a cable tv handshake issue.
The Yamaha doesn't or it is very rare. They use better hdmi boards.
That was an impressive post though. Even JD didn't get it right.
Crap like this is why I avoid Sony products. Disable hdcp? Way to go Sony.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
yep, no change

That did the trick, its working now, thx for the help :)

cheers
Sockenelk
Your welcome, its what worked for the other member with a Yamaha 2040!;)

Its a Odd issue to have! I have my PS4 hooked up to my Denon 4100W, hdcp enabled and outputing 1080p with no issues. No issues with my Arris hd dvr cable box, hooked up via hdmi as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts