AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing a problem with my Denon receiver being unable to lock-on to an Atmos signal from my Windows 10 PC. Just to provide some additional context, the PC is being run through the receiver and then to my LG CX through the eARC port, all my cables are HDMI 2.1, Dolby Access is installed and seemingly working in windows, I'm running an RTX 3000 series card with HDMI 2.1, the Speaker setup is set to (Dolby Atmos for home theater) within Windows, I'm confident that all of this is wired correctly, and that all equipment is compatible. My problem arrises whenever the audio signal from the PC stops. As long as literally any sound is coming from the computer the receiver has no issue staying in Dolby Surround or "DSur" mode. About 10-15 seconds after the sound stops the receiver will make it's characteristic relay click and then switches the mode to "M In 7.1", I assume this means mixing in 7.1. Aside from being really annoying this wouldn't be much of a problem in and of itself, as the receiver at first appeared to just switch back to DSur mode once the audio resumed. However I am finding that this is extremely inconsistent and that the receiver appears to get stuck in "M In 7.1" mode a good 20-30% of the time. The only consistent way I've found to fix this is to either power cycle the receiver or switch the audio output mode on the PC to Stereo or whatever isn't atmos, this appears to force the receiver to reassess the audio signal. Upon further testing using the TV as the primary hub and passing the audio through to the receiver over eARC, I found that the receivers ability to switch back from from "M In 7.1" appears to be completely broken and only a power cycle of the receiver or an input switch on the TV will force the receiver to switch audio modes.

My question is, is it possible to lock the receiver into a particular audio mode for a given input source or just disable upmixing entirely? I see that there is an "auto" indicator outlined above audio mode on the display but no way to modify it. Hoping someone might know here. :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Dolby surround isnt atmos, its an upmixed stereo signal.
Or do you mean dolby digital+ which can potentially be an atmos track but do you have an atmos setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dolby surround isnt atmos, its an upmixed stereo signal.
Or do you mean dolby digital+ which can potentially be an atmos track but do you have an atmos setup?

Regardless that really isn't the point. Whatever may be playing, 5.1, 7.1, atmos, the receiver detects that audio initially, once the audio stops and there is no signal coming to the receiver for 10-15 seconds, it switches to some upmixing away from the initial audio mode. All I'm asking is whether or not it is possible to stop the receiver from automatically switching to some upmixing mode when it stops receiving an audio signal?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Regardless that really isn't the point. Whatever may be playing, 5.1, 7.1, atmos, the receiver detects that audio initially, once the audio stops and there is no signal coming to the receiver for 10-15 seconds, it switches to some upmixing away from the initial audio mode. All I'm asking is whether or not it is possible to stop the receiver from automatically switching to some upmixing mode when it stops receiving an audio signal?
M 7.1 probably stand for Multi in 7.1 which is a multichannel signal which is probably not the same as when the display say dolby surround. Its very likly its the PC changing the signal sent to the AVR and not the AVR doing something wrong.
Hopefully you will get more info from someone else because i havent really used a PC for multichannel with HDMI.

·
Premium Member
92,579 Posts
This is not a receiver issue as it can only play what it receives. When the receiver displays "Multi Ch In" it simply means the PC has decoded the bitstream DD/DTS audio to PCM 5.1/7.1 and then passing it to the receiver.

Note also the X3700H, as a 2020 model, is discussed in the 2020 Denon AVR Owner's thread. Review posts 1-8 of that thread for additional helpful information.

"OFFICIAL" 2020 Denon AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) | AVS Forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts