Since becoming the Editor at AVS I have been flooded with opportunity to review the best of the best. I get flagship products from the best companies. It is truly great to get an opportunity to review $30,000 processors and $20,000 receivers and six figure subwoofers. BUT….. I can’t afford it.

While discussing what I can afford, I am like many where even separates are just out of reach (unless I save). So that means like most people I have to have a receiver.

So I decided reviewing an AVR that most of us could afford would be a great product to start with. So that made me start thinking of what AVRs are out there that our members would be most likely to consider. That meant to me that I should find a receiver around two thousand dollars or less.

One of the units I chose was the $1,999 Denon X4700H. The product falls towards the higher end of the Denon line but below their flagship special edition 110 year anniversary AVR-A110 which sits at just under six thousand and the X6700H which is a dollar less than three thousand.

I was looking at the more affordable X3700H thinking it was the sweet spot as far as price, but in today’s world STOCK is everything. The X4700H was available and I grabbed one to review.

Normally in reviews now people mention the plethora of connections and then discuss the set up process.
Here is the link to the unit where you can also purchase it (and yes we profit on purchases made via the link) and also read up on all the stats:

CHECK PRICE

Now I think of things in four categories of connectivity ratings when it comes to an AVR. They are “So Simple a Toddler Could Do it,” to “My mother could do it,” to “Very straight forward,” and finally “Worthless and complicated.”

I just had to connect a gaming device, but two of them. The problem with that is the Denon only has one 8K input. However Denon sells the AVS-3, a 3 HDMI input switch to use. It’s $199.

I also had to connect a simple 5.1.4 speaker system with all 9 channels driven by the internal amp (at their claimed 125 watts per at 8 ohm).

Denon is in the “So Simple a Toddler Could Do it,” category. Not only are things well labeled they’re color coded. The on screen menus help you through every screen. Even the room correction software was simple. Denon’s UI team deserves an applause. Set up is just a breeze.

Lets be honest, that is what this is all about: Hook it up and PLAY. You want to dive into a new product once you get it. You don’t want things to take time. Lets face it we are in an instant gratification society.

That is exactly what I did. Due to HDMI 2.1 issues I wanted to test out the PS5 and Xbox Series X first.

So I played and successfully accomplished 4K 120HZ gaming, Dolby Atmos gaming, VRR, etc. They all worked (it should be noted this is a unit built after the known HDMI issue that required a dongle solution to fix).

So the way I’m going to do this is describe my time with each game and my impressions.

First came SPIDER-MAN 2 on the PS5:

This game was fun. The sound was impressive. Never saw any tears on the screen. Everything was perfect. How perfect? Well I was into the game quickly and kept being impressed with how well object based sound was doing in the room. The sound and picture were as good as I had ever seen them. It didn’t matter if it was the Samsung Q70 65 inch TV I was testing out or the LG BX 55 I normally use in my gaming system.

Next I jumped into some Halo Master Collection fun on the Xbox Series X. I also dabbled a little in the Halo Infinite Beta Test (What a fun mess that was). Check out the Master Chief Collection here:

I couldn’t recreate any issues with the Xbox that previous Denon units were known to have. This receiver was able to take full advantage of the HDMI 2.1 features for gaming. It worked. No issues.

The clarity of the Denon was very noticeable while playing this game as being snuck up on was really hard to do. The atmospheric sound FX of the game were on full display. I would get surprised often from sounds from behind where I would catch people trying to sneak up on me. Thanks to Atmos, they didn't catch me. The clarity of the system was truly amazing.

Satisfied with gaming I jumped into movies. Movies are a bit more demanding than games with a lot more dynamics involved (although game soundtracks are getting pretty amazing). So you want to know how well it can drive a full system.

I jumped into the brand new 4K UHD HDR Blu Ray of Zack Snyder’s Director’s Cut of Justice League. This movie has to be seen just to show how a Director’s vision can be totally destroyed by Studio Interference. This Cut is long, but now also a pretty decent movie. In comparison to the Theatrical version the movie is GREAT.

It’s a dark movie, but there are some HDR scenes that really show off the ability of a good set up. I was lucky enough to have a great HDR tv hooked up while I was watching this movie (LG BX) and the picture was impressive.

As impressive as the picture was… wow on the sound. The sound stage might not have been as large as some other systems but it was CLEAR and precise. Following the bats around the bat cave or bullets when Wonder Woman is stopping a bombing was easy with the Denon.

Check out the Snyder Cut here:

I then decided it was time to watch a classic. I threw the Back To The Future 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray into the Xbox Series X and got to watching! This is a movie I’ve seen once or tens possibly hundreds of times in my lifetime. I figured out that I wanted to watch it based on recently seeing a 50 inch subwoofer. It reminded me of the opening scene of Marty plugging into the giant speaker at Doc Brown’s.

This system kicked butt almost as well as that speaker did to Marty. The dynamics were there and the sub I had during this review was phenomenal at adding depth to the BTTF sound track.

Dialog and dynamics were both clear and easy to differentiate sounds in the soundtrack. The Denon could be called analytical in regards to sound quality.

Check out the Back to the Future here:

I then decided to play some music on the AVR. Simple 2 channel. The speakers were a pair of Focal Sopra 1s. Connected by some speaker cables from Origin Audio.

I played music via Tidal on the Xbox Series X.

I listened to the entire album of ZZ Top “Eliminator” which is an old one but a good one. It’s another album I have heard thousands of times and the Denon just reminded me of how good we have it in audio now compared to 10 years ago.

You can buy the ZZ Top album here:

Sharp Dressed Man is a favorite of mine. From the guttural sounds of Billy F. Gibbons to his guitar riffs this song was recreated in amazing fashion. I was tapping me feet along to the beat.

Competition:

Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, NAD, Anthem and Pioneer all have AVRs in the same price range. Throw in sister company Marantz and you have a plethora of AVRs to choose from in the $2,000 category. The Denon is imho one of the top choices in its price range. The Yamaha will have a wider sound stage and seem more “airy” while lacking in the room correction software department. NAD will offer a warmer sound with harder to use room correction software (but more powerful) in a less easy to set up AVR, and the Marantz will offer better 2 channel sound and an amp that seems to me able to handle dynamic scenes better.

So what am I trying to say? Well at this price point manufacturers have to pick and choose where to invest. It’s not a flagship product so they have to decide what and how far they will push their tech in different aspects. So each one could be a lot different. What I can say is they all do something extremely well and that they don’t do anything bad.

Conclusion:

You have a lot of choices in this price range. You can’t go wrong choosing the Denon. It does everything well enough to appeal to most buyers. It doesn’t have a flaw of any worthy note. No, the Denon may well be chosen by a lot of people for its ease of use but behind that nifty user interface and playful setup is a powerful AVR able to handle whatever you throw at it and that makes it a smart choice. In a forest full of AVRs the Denon X4700H stands out from the rest. If you’re interested in an AVR at this price point I suggest giving it a listen.