AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At CEDIA, Denon announced that there will be a forthcoming upgrade for their flagship AVR-5803 receiver to provide the new Dolby Pro-Logic IIx 7.1 decoding. No details on price, procedures, etc. as yet.

Eric

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Well that's nice for those who have a 5803 for sure. But what was said about then replacement receiver for the 5803 that may be coming out? Seeing as you can't even order a 5803 from Denon anymore now.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Denon rep has lots of 5803's in stock. I told him what you had said concerning their availability and he said that you are mistaken.

He said that Denon has cut off non-rep sources for their higher level receivers (5803,4802R, 3803), as well as higher-level DVD's; so if someone attempted to order those from distributors such as ADI, they can no longer get them. But the Denon reps have 'em. The new DVD units will be shipping shortly...the 5900 ships on Sept. 30th.

Eric

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by egcarter
My Denon rep has lots of 5803's in stock. I told him what you had said concerning their availability and he said that you are mistaken.

He said that Denon has cut off non-rep sources for their higher level receivers (5803,4802R, 3803), as well as higher-level DVD's; so if someone attempted to order those from distributors such as ADI, they can no longer get them.

Eric
OK, since when did Denon "cut off" their authorized dealers from ordering their so called "high end" products, in that they can only order those in a certain way different from all their other products?

Just because your rep may have them, don't mean everyones does. And it's common knowledge now that the 5803 is either being phased for out for a new replacement model or maybe it's being upgraded. So I'm sure more than a few "rep" or distributors would just love to get rid of all their 5803 before that happens..

I for one, do NOT want to buy a 5803 now! After knowing it's soon to be replaced or upgraded. and I'm sure many others feel the exact same way about that. After all why pay the price of a new 5803 now, when in a matter of weeks or a few months it will be obsolete. And knowing that the new one will more than likely have more features than the 5803 has?

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by A. Vandelay
Eric,

See if you can squeeze your rep for any information on the new receivers, especially the 3804!
It was mentioned by Denon @ the IFA Show held in Berlin, that the 3804 will be shown @ the WCES 2004 in Las Vegas, and shipped in February 04.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JohnLA,

My Denon rep said that there has not been any cut off of those models. They are all still available from Denon at this time. Where did you hear that they are no longer available?

Eric

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by egcarter
JohnLA,

My Denon rep said that there has not been any cut off of those models. They are all still available from Denon at this time. Where did you hear that they are no longer available?

Eric
From my local Denon dealer, and another authorized one that I was going to buy it from. And both of them are having no problems as of yet getting 3803's, only the 5803.

Plus others in this forum have said the same, can't order or are no longer being shown to be able to order, from wherever they were ordering them from. Honestly, I think some places or sources still have them while others do not, or sold what they did have. And that Denon is trying to help those who still have them as much as possible, to sell them off before whatever the new flagship receiver is going to be, is even announced, let alone made available for sale. I mean lets face it, if they have a few hundred or so of them somewhere now, the last thing they would want to do is "hurt" their chances of selling them now, by announcing whats coming out in a few weeks or one or two months from now.

Now do I know for a fact that is what they are trying to do, no I don't, it's only a guess by me.

BUT if it was me, and I had a few hundred or a thousand of them, still not sold. It's what I would try to do!

BTW: I'd also "guess" that they don't have a thousand or so of them yet unsold, but rather somewhere maybe in the mid-hundreds of them. Because they started to get "harder" to get, about 2 to 2 1/2 months ago.

One thing for sure, it's probably helped those who sell "gray market" 5803's more than Denon would have wished it to. And if it did not, all those that still have many "gray market" 5803's to sell, are going to be hurt somewhat when the new receiver does comes out.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Denon rep checked with Denon today and the 5803 is still readily available. It will remain at the top of the receiver line at least until March 2004. However, before that happens, the 4802R will be replaced by the 4804; around January, I believe. No info yet on the features and/or pricing.

Eric

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
They can keep their 5803 now as far as I'm concerned.

Once I found out it was being replaced, I told the dealer I did not want a 5803 anymore, and not to pursue it any further to get me one.

After all. Why should I buy one, just to have it outdated in just a few more months, when I know it's due to be replaced with a new model?

Also, I'd just about bet, that you will see the 5803's "replacement" sooner than March of 2004.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If the 5803 does everything you want what difference does it make?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Denon refreshes their "flagship" receiver fairly frequently. It does't matter at what point you purchase, within 12 months most likely it won't be the latest and greatest. Its almost as bad as buying a computer.

So, if you can wait great. If you want something now, go for it. You could also wait for the new box to be released and see if you can find the "older" model at a bigger discount.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
If the 5803 does everything you want what difference does it make?
If it's being replaced soon. It makes a lot of difference.

And no receiver or even a pre-pro does everything that I want. They all lack at least one or two things that I would like to have.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CodeEcks
I just bought a 5803 two weeks ago with no availability problems.
And I could buy one tomorrow if I wanted to overpay, and pay list price, or close to it for one.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
At CEDIA, Denon announced that there will be a forthcoming upgrade for their flagship AVR-5803 receiver to provide the new Dolby Pro-Logic IIx 7.1 decoding. No details on price, procedures, etc. as yet.
Any news on this?

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will
Any news on this?
According to DenonJeff just about a week or so ago, it's still at the "T.B.A" stage right now. And there is nothing firm yet about when.

"I can only say we are investigating any upgrade paths for the 5803 - we have already released we will upgrade the 5803 to PLIIx sometime in November."

But he did mention one other time also, that it would probably not be a "flash" upgrade that the owners themselves can do, and that it's likely that it will need to be sent in to have it done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.