AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Denon avr 790 hooked up to Jamo s606 speakers and a hsu stf2 sub. The speakers are set as small and crossover was set at 80, however it sounded like I was getting double bass, coming from both the sub and the towers. So I powered off the sub and ran 20, 30, 40 and 50 hz tones, heard nothing from the towers on the 20 but heard the 30 and the 40 and 50 came through very clearly. I double and tripple checked the manual, Audessy and 2.1 stereo parameters and even did a factory reset but still the low frequency bass is coming from the woofer in the towers.

Has any one encountered a similar issue, is my avr bad?

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Try the 40 Hz test tones again and switch the setting between small/large. Does the level reduce in the small mode? If so, then the crossover is working. The high-pass filters are not "brick walls" so signal will remain present below the cutoff frequency. If the level drops about 7 dB, it is a 2nd-order HP filter. If it drops about 14 dB, it is a 4th-order.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
Try the 40 Hz test tones again and switch the setting between small/large. Does the level reduce in the small mode? If so, then the crossover is working. The high-pass filters are not "brick walls" so signal will remain present below the cutoff frequency. If the level drops about 7 dB, it is a 2nd-order HP filter. If it drops about 14 dB, it is a 4th-order.
This is a good idea. I tried it but unfortunately i heard no differences in bass, speakers cut off for a second when the change is made but the bass would come back at prior level.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
What is the source of the test tones? Is it in all channels or just one channel? Best if in just one channel.

(If in all channels, can you turn off all the other speakers so they are not contributing to the room sound.)

Do you have REW (room EQ wizard) or some other way to measure frequency response electrically?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcwun
I have Denon avr 790 hooked up to Jamo s606 speakers and a hsu stf2 sub. The speakers are set as small and crossover was set at 80, however it sounded like I was getting double bass, coming from both the sub and the towers. So I powered off the sub and ran 20, 30, 40 and 50 hz tones, heard nothing from the towers on the 20 but heard the 30 and the 40 and 50 came through very clearly. I double and tripple checked the manual, Audessy and 2.1 stereo parameters and even did a factory reset but still the low frequency bass is coming from the woofer in the towers.

Has any one encountered a similar issue, is my avr bad?
I have a Denon 3808 and I have the same issue ( 5.1 Martin Logan speakers). When I set it to Dolby PL II (with crossover set at 100Hz) with the subwoofer off, I can hear 30, 40, ... from my center channel.

When I set the receiver to "Pure Direct", you can hear the same low frequencies from the tower speakers.

If you set your receiver to "Pure Direct", Denon receiver will IGNORE the "small" setting and will treat the tower speakers as "Large" so you'll get double bass. That is how 3808 works (batpig Denon-3808 website mentions that also).

Bu what puzzles me is the low frequency coming from the center channel when I use a 100Hz cross over, when the audio is set to Dolby PLII.

Note: I tried the same settings on another Denon receiver (AVR-891 with another set of ML speakers). same results (the same issue exists with that unit too).

I'll call the Denon tech support on Tuesday and ask them about this. What's the point of crossover, when it doesn't work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
What is the source of the test tones? Is it in all channels or just one channel? Best if in just one channel.

(If in all channels, can you turn off all the other speakers so they are not contributing to the room sound.)

Do you have REW (room EQ wizard) or some other way to measure frequency response electrically?
i have a htpc outputting to the avr via hdmi. it is setup to output in stereo but i have also tried a 5.1 output with same results.

i have only the towers and the sub connected, no center or surround.

the test tones came from http://www.testsounds.com/

i dont have a rew.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok /forum/post/20903756

I have a Denon 3808 and I have the same issue ( 5.1 Martin Logan speakers). When I set it to Dolby PL II (with crossover set at 100Hz) with the subwoofer off, I can hear 30, 40, ... from my center channel.

When I set the receiver to "Pure Direct", you can hear the same low frequencies from the tower speakers.

If you set your receiver to "Pure Direct", Denon receiver will IGNORE the "small" setting and will treat the tower speakers as "Large" so you'll get double bass. That is how 3808 works (batpig Denon-3808 website mentions that also).

Bu what puzzles me is the low frequency coming from the center channel when I use a 100Hz cross over, when the audio is set to Dolby PLII.

Note: I tried the same settings on another Denon receiver (AVR-891 with another set of ML speakers). same results (the same issue exists with that unit too).

I'll call the Denon tech support on Tuesday and ask them about this. What's the point of crossover, when it doesn't work?

Your Martin Logan center channel can reproduce 30 and 40 hz tones?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcwun /forum/post/20906466

Your Martin Logan center channel can reproduce 30 and 40 hz tones?

I tested it again to be sure, and I could easily hear 40 Hz tone (not 30Hz) and higher (I had to turn the volume up to hear 40 Hz, but I could easily hear it). The spec for "Stage" says 69Hz and higher, But I can hear 40 Hz.

The question is why when the crossover is set to 100Hz, you can hear tones less than 100Hz from center channel?

The test tones were downloaded from: http://www.stompaudio.com/test-tones-c-6793.html

·
Registered
12,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok /forum/post/20911123

I tested it again to be sure, and I could easily hear 40 Hz tone (not 30Hz) and higher (I had to turn the volume up to hear 40 Hz, but I could easily hear it). The spec for "Stage" says 69Hz and higher, But I can hear 40 Hz.

The 69 Kz spec is likely the - 3dB point. The rolloff is gentle, so you will be able to hear signals well below that point, especially if you increase the volume.

Quote:
The question is why when the crossover is set to 100Hz, you can hear tones less than 100Hz from center channel?

Crossover slopes are not infinite, either, so again, the signals an octave below the crossover point will remain present, but at a reduced level (if the crossover is working!).

·
Registered
5,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20902389

Quote:
This is a good idea. I tried it but unfortunately i heard no differences in bass, speakers cut off for a second when the change is made but the bass would come back at prior level.

I have a feeling this is a sign of malfunction of the AVR if, as you say, speakers cut off but after a while bass comes back. Hmmm. Since you have mentioned earlier that you have made a factory reset, I think your last option would be to unplug the power cord and leave the Denon for a few minutes allowing it to "reboot" once the power is back again. Like in a PC, even though its turned off, still some circuitry is "live" on the motherboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.