AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Firstly, I just want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge within these forums. After reading several threads over the past couple days I feel like I have gained a much better understanding of home audio and felt ready to submit a post about a possible purchase before I pull the trigger. I just purchased my first HDTV (Samsung PN43D450) and was looking to install an audio system along with it. My room is about 16x12, and I will be using the tv mainly for streaming tv shows on netflix/hulu and minimal amounts of gaming. A bluray player/ps3 may be in the works as well.Based on my budget and current necessities, I opted to go far an HTiB. I am debating between these two:

DENON DHT-591BA - $349 for a refurb

or

Yamaha YHT-395BL - $299 @ amazon

*(would have posted links, but cannot due to this being the first post)

I just basically wanted to see what benefits these two specific systems have over the other. Any knowledge, advice, or opinions you will have will help me out immensely. I am also open to new suggestions for comparable systems/set ups.

Bottom line: I am trying to get the best bang for my buck right now. I am open to upgrading the speakers down the road, but for now I feel like this is the best path for me.

·
Registered
18,440 Posts
I have the Yamamha YHT-395 and at 299 for a brand new system, that's a good price. The Denon looks to be a very good system as well. The BA speakers are similar to what comes with the Yamaha but are probably a bit better. That being said, we watched both Iron Man's last night and the sound was very nice. Plenty of bass for the explosions and fight scenes and the discrete 5.1 was clear and well defined, not tinny or too bright (which is how I like it). Very full. Our room is about 13x16, carpeted with a 12' cathedral ceiling and the sound filled the room with power to spare. Both are good entry level systems but most will probably say the Denon is the better of the two. That's ok. As a Yamaha owner, I am very satisfied with my purchase and will enjoy it for quite some time. Like you, I have learned a lot and will be better prepared, and educated, for upgrading my system down the road (speakers first). You will get lots of good advice from some very knowledgeable people here so take your time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/21261445

I have the Yamamha YHT-395 and at 299 for a brand new system, that's a good price. The Denon looks to be a very good system as well. The BA speakers are similar to what comes with the Yamaha but are probably a bit better. That being said, we watched both Iron Man's last night and the sound was very nice. Plenty of bass for the explosions and fight scenes and the discrete 5.1 was clear and well defined, not tinny or too bright (which is how I like it). Very full. Our room is about 13x16, carpeted with a 12' cathedral ceiling and the sound filled the room with power to spare. Both are good entry level systems but most will probably say the Denon is the better of the two. That's ok. As a Yamaha owner, I am very satisfied with my purchase and will enjoy it for quite some time. Like you, I have learned a lot and will be better prepared, and educated, for upgrading my system down the road (speakers first). You will get lots of good advice from some very knowledgeable people here so take your time.

Thanks for this! I was leaning toward the Yamaha set mainly because I tend to avoid refurbs. It probably helps that I have a $100 gc to amazon too ^-^ How is the set up process like? I've never had to set up a home theater system before, and I felt like reading all the how-to's and set-up 101s doesn't really prepare me enough for the moment I open up my box of goodies.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Maybe Otto coud chime in on this but does the Yamaha have some form of audyessy EQ? I believe the 591 does which does help you calibrate your set up.

·
Registered
18,440 Posts
The Yamaha does not have an Audyessy style calibration setup (no microphone) but it does have a calibration setup using distance, tone, and volume, plus the usual tonal controls and cross-overs. Basically a manual approach that works very well. I've never used the Audyessy system and it does seem to be an easier (and probably better) way to calibrate. However, my system has a very balanced sound, it just took a little more work.

Pokekevin: did you ever get a universal remote for your HTS?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/21261779

The Yamaha does not have an Audyessy style calibration setup (no microphone) but it does have a calibration setup using distance, tone, and volume, plus the usual tonal controls and cross-overs. Basically a manual approach that works very well. I've never used the Audyessy system and it does seem to be an easier (and probably better) way to calibrate. However, my system has a very balanced sound, it just took a little more work.

Pokekevin: did you ever get a universal remote for your HTS?

Indeed i have. Spent almost an hour at bestbuy trying to decide between the harmony one or the simple 650. The touchscreen has the "WOW" factor but it wasnt worth the extra cost in the end for me. Finally got around to teaching my gf how to use i... nowi cant watch movies cause its soap operanight every night ;(

Op id say go for the yamaha then! Otto, tome, seems like the "man" when it comes to htibs! His advice is solid!

·
Registered
18,440 Posts
I have the Harmony 880. Old school but I like the feel of hard buttons and haven't quite warmed up to the touchscreens yet. Sorry about the gf and soaps but I have the WAF to deal with so the pain is the same

BTW, the Yamaha does have a universal remote which worked ok with the LG, Panansonic, and AppleTV2 devices but it's a tad bit difficult to program the way you want so I went back to my Harmony.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Also I can never seem to push the right buttons on a touchscreen...especially the one in my car.

·
Registered
18,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21262088

Also I can never seem to push the right buttons on a touchscreen...especially the one in my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have remotes for a/v receivers? Is this basically so that I can turn on/off the receiver without getting up?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Indeed. What we were talking about is a universal remote which you can program to turn on your tv and receiver with one push of a button

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
The Audyssey in the Denon 591 is much better than the basic calibration in the Yamaha. The Denon also eq's the subwoofer. If you're okay with a refurb the Denon is the better deal. Denon also has analog to hdmi video conversion. Are all your sources hdmi?

I have own the Denon 591 receiver so I'm very familiar how it functions.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
So the yamaha has the basic version of Audyssey?

I have the 1611 which is basically the 7.1 version of the 591 I believe

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
No Yamaha doesn't use Audyssey at all. They have their own calibration system called MCACC that comes with a calibration microphone. The YHT-395 doesn't even use this as it has something more basic without a mic.

Thats why the Denon is much better in this respect.

And yes the 1611 is the 7.1 version of the 591.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Id say it helps out a lot if you dont know how to use an spl meter and such.

I thought MCACC was a pioneer thing oops

·
Registered
18,440 Posts
Everything that pokekevin and afrogt say is true about the Yamaha, but for an entry level system, IMO, it still sounds very good. Maybe it's my ears but everyone here who's heard it are impressed with the sound considering what the cost was. There is always something better out there and specs/prices do change a lot. I've said this before but it bears repeating, if you can check out a system before you buy I highly recommend that approach. It's not always feasible but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys. I decided on the Yamaha for now (mainly due to price point) and it should be shipped today! I think that I want to start off with something more entry level since this is my first TV and home theater system. Any tips on how to calibrate the speakers once I have everything set up?

·
Registered
18,440 Posts
That was one of the reasons why I chose the Yamaha as well. Afrogt's points about the Audessey calibation system are very valid. I wish the Yamaha had something similar but it doesn't. However, the speaker calibration is very easy to do so you won't have any difficulties. I've had mine since about May and is has never failed to deliver excellent sound for our environment and has even impressed some of my friends who are more audiophilic (is that a word?) than I am. I will certainly upgrade the speakers next year sometime but the current sound is definitely agreeable. I don't like artificial processing and sound effects so I'm using mine pretty much straight out of the box with some tweaking. There are lots of options to play with though so you might find something more to your liking. The remote is universal and I found it to be the most difficult thing to setup and use with my other components like I wanted too. You can use it, but I went back to my Harmony 880 and am much happier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts