AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my manual for the 2805, it describes the dolby digital setup option (drc or no drc) as

"sets the down-mixing method when not using a center speaker or surround speakers"

i thought drc just decreased the range so that the big explosions weren't so incredibly much louder than the dialog and such. why does this comment sound like it's more intrusive than that? does enabling still work fine with all 5.1 speakers? i know all 5 of my levels are set equally, but regular DD almost always tends to have too wide a spectrum for me in my living room...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by methcat /forum/post/0

in my manual for the 2805, it describes the dolby digital setup option (drc of no drc) as

"sets the down-mixing method when not using a center speaker or surround speakers"

i thought drc just decreased the range so that the big explosions weren't so incredibly much louder than the dialog and such. why does this comment sound like it's more intrusive than that? does enabling still work fine with all 5.1 speakers? i know all 5 of my levels are set equally, but regular DD almost always tends to have too wide a spectrum for me in my living room...

This setting will be used only when down mixing the contents for example, if you had no center then a 5.1 material will have to be down mixed (as there is no center, so contents of center channel have to be mixed with front L/R). If you set the option to DRC, then while down mixing the dynamic range will be compressed.

If you have 5.1 setup, no down mixing will be needed and this setting will not be used.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0

This setting will be used only when down mixing the contents for example, if you had no center then a 5.1 material will have to be down mixed (as there is no center, so contents of center channel have to be mixed with front L/R). If you set the option to DRC, then while down mixing the dynamic range will be compressed.

If you have 5.1 setup, no down mixing will be needed and this setting will not be used.

so does the 2805 not have a drc function that works the way most brands work with range control? it seems to me that usually people use this for might time listening, or just to cut down on the boom or increase the dialog....

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by methcat /forum/post/0

so does the 2805 not have a drc function that works the way most brands work with range control? it seems to me that usually people use this for might time listening, or just to cut down on the boom or increase the dialog....

It does have DRC function. It is "D. Comp" which needs to be set for that functionality. It can take four values - OFF, LOW, MID and HI.

Set D. Comp to OFF for normal listening levels. Use LOW/MID/HI for applying DRC.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0

It does have DRC function. It is "D. Comp" which needs to be set for that functionality. It can take four values - OFF, LOW, MID and HI.

Set D. Comp to OFF for normal listening levels. Use LOW/MID/HI for applying DRC.

awesome, thanks. all these companies use too many different terms for the same things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.