Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in the market for a Faroudja-based player, but I don't need DVI/HDMI.

I see E-cost has refurbished models of the DVD-1200 on sale for $200 US ($322 CDN including shipping & tariffs). How does this player rate compared to other Denon models? It's one of the only Denon players that's not on the DVD Benchmark. It's got a Faroudja chip (probably the FLI-2200?) so I'm assuming deinterlacing performance is as good as everything else in that category.

Also, is it a good idea to buy a refurbished model? I've heard that refurbished units undergo more rigorous testing and can include the latest firmware, etc. Is this true, or am I at greater risk at getting a lemon?

Thanks,

Visor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
The Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 are rated higher.
Yes, but they're also more expensive, (usually $250 US or more at the mercy of E-bay sellers, and that's before shipping and tariffs), not to mention that they're older models, and don't have any warranty to speak of.

I'll wait and see if Ecost will stock DVD-910s, otherwise I may just pick up a DVD-1815 (5 disc carousel version) as it's only $130 US. Then again, I may just stick with my interlaced Sony NS-325 and continue to let my Sony 43HT20 TV do the work until HD-DVD comes along. (The only real issue I have is that the Star Wars DVDs exhibit some aliasing issues, most likely because 5-10 lines of resolution is potentially lost if the TV has to up-convert an interlaced source).

Oh, and I found an answer to my re-furbished question. I can't post the link here because I'm too new a user, but it's here in the forum called "Re-furbished DVD Players". It's too bad that I ended up having to type out this entire post again because my reply was blanked out when I had to press 'Back'. Bah!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.