AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Denon 1600 dvd player and I'm using it for video and DVD-Audio.

I'm having a problem with my current home theater system and I believe the problem is on this player.

I'm using this player together with a Sony Str-DA5ES receiver and JVC AV-48WP30 tv.

The problem itself is some interference on the picture through my component outputs on the dvd player. You can see horizontal bands moving on the screen, similar to bad analog vhf reception. It's subtle but still annoying. It doesn't matter if I use progressive or interlaced setting.

After some intensive testing, I finally find out that as soon as I disconnect the 6 golden connector RCA cable (from Radio Shack) I'm using for DVD-Audio, the problem is gone!

So, it's clear that the DVD player is introducing some noise on the component outputs. Is that a design flaw on this player? Can any current owner of this player test this at home? The problem is very easy to see, when you press stop on the player and you have the blue screen. You can see some horizontal bands moving on the screen. As soon as you disconnect all 5.1 analog cables, the problem is gone. If you connect one of these cables(it doesn't matter which), the problem is back!

It's important to note, that the component cables are going straight to the TV, since I'm not using the component switch on the receiver. So, the signal noise is certainly being introduced on the dvd player. It maybe generated on the receiver, but it's going through the player.

Things I already tried:

- Different component cables. I thought the problem was on the TV. After playing with the DVD, I tried changing cables. It didn't work.

- I tried keeping the cables connected to the player and disconnect them from the receiver. Problem is gone.

I'm totally lost at the moment. If any owner can test this, it would be great. If you believe the problem is not on the player, I would like to know some testing that I can do to try to isolate the cause of the problem.

I'm open to suggestions on how to solve this!

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the 1600 and have a similar setup and have seen no horizontal bands.

For DVD-Audio I use two monster cables for left and right channels and 4 golden radio shack cables for sub, center, left surround, and right surround. I'm also running my component video cables straight to the TV. I have a Toshiba HDTV.

What component video cables are you using?

When you are playing a DVD (not DVD-A) are you sending the sound to your receiver via the 6 analog cables or through the optical digital?

I'm at work so I have not had a chance to look specifically for your problem. When I get home I will hit stop and look for bands on blue screen.

Flip

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried two different set of cables for component. First, I was using a 6ft Golden regular A/V Radio Shack cable. Then, I tried a 6ft Acoustic Research cable. Both showed exactly the same results.

When playing DVD-Video, I use optical cable, since I want to take advantage of DTS-ES built into my receiver.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that when I disconnect the dvd-audio analog cables and connect s-video and component cable at the same time, the problem is also there! But only with component. I actually split the screen between s-video and component and I could see the problem only with component!

I'm not sure yet where the problem is. Since I'm carrying the video signal straight to my tv, I believe chances are the problem is on the DVD and not on the receiver.

I also believe the problem is not on my cables, since I tried two different sets, with the same result.

I thought that maybe the problem is my messy hook-up with tons of cables around. This could be generating interference. But since the problem happens only when I connect the 5.1 analog cables, I believe this is out of question.

I'm still clueless on this! If you can check at home, see you note a difference. You can see the problem during some very bright scenes. But it's a lot easier to see it during the blue screen.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Denon 1600 with a similar set up. I use a Monster 2 compentent cable from the 1600 directly to my Sharp HDTV, a Monster Optical for the digital and 3 RCA Gold audio cables from Radio Shack for the analog audio going driectly to my Denon 1802. I don't have any such lines issue... in fact the picture is brilliant.

I suppose it could be a bad piece of hardware, so taking it back and swapping it might be in order. Since you've tried a different component cable, I suppose that shouldn't matter, but perhaps borrowing a friends higher end cable might be worth a try as well.

- Peter

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exchanging it won't be possible since I have it for more than a month. I just noticed this now, because I didn't have a TV with Component inputs till this Saturday when I got my JVC.

About the cables, I don't have any friends into this whole Home theater hobby. I have some friends that have HTiB, but they don't have high end components, let alone high end cables. Thanks for the suggestion though.

But, from what I described, it seems my problem is on the DVD player and not on the receiver, right?

What are the chances that I can get this corrected on my player under warranty? Since the problem is subtle (average Joe could live with that), I'm afraid I'll just waste my time trying to correct this. Since this is my first Denon product, I'm not sure how they handle their warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
It sounds like a ground problem to me. Check to polarity of the ac plugs on each piece of equipment. Use a ground isolator on your cable connection. Keep interconnects away from ac power.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Try disconnecting everything from the AC except the TV and DVD (including cable from the TV). If noise is gone, smile and then reconnect each piece one at a time until you find the culprit. If no improvement, try the DVD in another TV (hopefully another AC circuit).

Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also can confirm that there is not a problem. I have checked and there is no banding when at blue screen (or anywhere else).

It does not appear that it is a cable problem.

I would concur with the other posts, it is probably a grounding problem.

If grounding is not the culprit, try player on another TV in a different room (like LDMA1 said).

Flip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.