Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this new review of the Denon 1600:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...00-6-2002.html

It appears that this player has excellent audio and video performance, without the chroma bug! I wonder why Denon got it right with this player, but not with the 3800 and 9000, both of which reportedly have the bug.

I'd like to hear from owners of this player, and others who have actually demo'd it. Do you agree with the glowing review? Unless I missed it, I don't think the review mentioned speed of layer changes -- is the 1600 fast with layer changes?

Thanks,

TMG

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stacey,

"It is identical to the RP56 layer change"

This doesn't help me, because I'm not familiar with the RP56. Is this considered fast? I remember reading that the Denon 2800 has very fast layer change -- how does the 1600 compare with the 2800 in this department?

Stacey, I'd love to get your opinion regarding the audio and video performance of the 1600. What do you think? Are there other DVD-V/A players in this price range that you'd recommend instead of the 1600?

Thanks,

TMG

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Stacey,

Since the 1600 video design is the same as the RP56's - or even the same video PC board being used - is CCS still NOT user selectable and therefore defaulted to "ON" in the 1600, just like in the RP56?

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to the specs on the Denon DVD1600, it is supposed to have 3MB for layer change. I wonder why the layer change is the same as the RP56 that has no memory allocated for this.

·
Registered
819 Posts
TMG,

do a search on this board for Panasonic RP56. Denon DVD1600 is essentially the same machine, with the audio section upgraded. Yes, you read right. Denon has Panasonic inside for this particular model.

That's why it's so good and has no chroma bug (Panasonic uses chroma bug free mpeg decoders).

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the 1600 and I'm very impressed with the machine (as I have mentioned earlier). Outstanding video and great audio.

I think it is very fast on the layer change. Much faster than my old Toshiba player. The speed of the layer change is one aspect of this player that has really impressed me.

I'm also unclear on why Stacey says it is the same as the RP56 on layer change. I can find no where on the RP56 specs where it has a 3MB buffer for layer changes like the 1600. I have also had no pickup dropouts on the 1600.

Give me an example of a DVD with a long layer change and I will test it on my 1600.

Flip

·
Registered
299 Posts
I auditioned this player along with the panasonic '56 while searching for an upgrade to my sony ' 700P. I was looking for a progessive scan player that didnt have the 'chroma bug'. I had been using the beginning of toy story as my test material. What I saw that was odd was that everywhere that I had seen the 'chroma bug' on other players, there was a flickering instead. I found that just as distracting as 'bug' so I continued my search for my upgrade. (I ended up with the panasonic '91 and have been very pleased. ) I really wanted to like the player between brand loyalty and features for the price.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Why for a low budget DVD player that can use a Chroma bug free board but for there DVD-A1 they had to use a Sage? board with the Chroma bug?

Spero D.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Spero,

The DVD-A1 (comparable to the 9000) uses an ESS MPEG decoder and the Silicon Images Sil-504 deinterlacing engine.

It is the MPEG decoder which either has or doesn't have the chroma bug.

The deinterlacing solution (unless it's an integrated MPEG decoder/deinterlacing engine) won't cause chroma bug. In some cases the deinterlacing engine an hide the bug though.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Spero,

I'm a little slow on Mondays .......... what do you mean by the "DVD-A1" and what do you mean by the "Sage board"?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
how does the 1600 do on regular cd playback? It doesn't seem to have HDCD or alpha plus proccessing.I have the denon 370 cd changer. Would the 1600 be an improvement on cd sound? would the 3800 have enough better sound to justify being double the price?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not only is the Denon 1600 the same inards as the RP-56... it uses the EXACT same REMOTE CONTROL!!! Look at the pics... it's identical. I have the RP-56 by the way... It's much cheaper then the 1600... go for the 56 if DVD-Audio doesn't matter to you.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's not EXACT the same remote, but it's VERY similar. I believe the only difference is some dvd-audio buttons on the DVD-1600.

Also, the set-up menus are pretty much identical! The only difference that I noted was the bass management option on the DVD-1600.

By the way, I own a Denon 1600 but I already played with a RP56.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.