AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Denon DVD-1600. The picture quality for movies is very good however I am left less than impressed with the sound quality.

The DVD-1600 only has a toslink optical out. I purchased the reccomended glass optical cable on EBay and have been listening to a number of film soundtracks in Dolby Digital and DTS.

I a using a Denon - 4802 with Rock solid speakers and a Velodyne subwoffer.

My old player was a Pioneer DV-09 connected to the 4802 with a Monster coaxial cable.

On the Pioneer the sound from movies was extremely robust and energetic but on the Denon it seems thin and lacking in substance.

Any suggestions on how I could pull better sound out of this puppy (without directly using the six analog outputs on the back)?

Has any else had similar issues using the optical out and is there any way I can resolve this?

· Registered
461 Posts
I would encourage you to return to your Pioneer DV-09.

Your Sony 34" XBR has the ability to perform 3/2 pulldown to create a 480p image.

As you said, you are using a glass Toslink Optical and still getting substandard audio, while your DV-09 was robust and full-bodied (Geez, I sound like an ad for a cigar) :)

If you are intent on having a progressive scan DVD player that would be a 'virtual' heir to the Pioneer DV-09, I would say get yourself a Samsung DVD-HD1000. 1080i output to your monitor and DVD-Audio, and all of your DVD's will return to the performance level that you experienced with your DV-09.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.