Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm very close to ordering a Denon DVD-1600 and having it SDI-out modded by Immersive. I will be feeding this through an HTPC/Holo3D via DVI-out scaled to 720p to an HD2 DLP.

My main concerns were MPEG decoder quality, build quality, and price...in that order. It looks like I'll be paying around $850 when all is said and done (not counting the HTPC, of course).

For MPEG decoder quality, I relied heavily on secret's dvd player shoot-out. Build quality and (personal preference) aesthetics raised the Denon over the Panasonic models that also scored well in the shoot-out. Price (around $400 street from an authorized dealer...before SDI mod) is decent.

Obviously, the $450 SDI modification elevates it to a higher level of competition with nicer players. However, such players in the ~$900 range are priced as such mainly due to superior video DAC's and other features that are completely moot and would be "wasted" since I'm aiming for the SDI mod.

With all of that said, does anyone have any suggestions regarding my decision? Is there another option I don't know about that would put my hard-earned $850-$900 to better use?

btw - My receiver is a VSX-49TXi, and I was originally going to get a Pioneer DV-47Ai (w/ SDI-mod) to take advantage of the iLink feature (one cable for all audio is tempting!) and also be able to have SACD. The main thing that detered me from this option was the supposedly poor performance of the MPEG decoder (chroma bug, etc.). That, along with the extra $300 or so cost, and the fact that PQ for me far outweighs the importance of either DVD-A or SACD (although it would be nice to have). In fact, if I do get the Denon, I probably won't even bother hooking up the analog 5.1 audio for DVD-A anytime soon.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Will your HTPC do de-interlacing, 3-2 pull down detection and use a motion-adaptive algorithm for de-interlacing? Just some other thoughts to consider.

In general, keeping that all digital path all the way to the display sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
513 Posts
For what its worth, I just recently ordered an SDI modded Panasonic XP30 that also had been region hacked from http://www.jvb.nl/ - got it quickly, although I haven't been able to try it yet. I'm sure Immersive is good too.

·
Registered
931 Posts
What does the Holo3DGraph card allow the player to do? With it a $200 player now cost $1,200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
For what its worth, I just recently ordered an SDI modded Panasonic XP30 that also had been region hacked from http://www.jvb.nl/ - got it quickly, although I haven't been able to try it yet. I'm sure Immersive is good too.
Hmm...I had looked at these awhile back but didn't consider them since they are overseas. So, your player is region free and can play PAL discs as well? I might need to reconsider...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Their HQ is overseas, but they ship out of the states - they must have a US office. They do charge your credit card in Euros, though.

A region free DVD player will be able to play DVDs manufactured for a different region (say a UK disk, which is what I usually buy for the more obscure titles). However note that your DVD player will output PAL (in the UK example), so you must make sure your display device can display PAL.

I actually went to the trouble to buy a cheap PAL-NTSC converter, which didn't work very well, until I discovered that my plasma displayed PAL no problem, even though it never said so in the specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.