AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Denon DVD 2200 in yesterday and managed to hook it up.

I have only previously owned a Denon DVD 3800, a Panasonic $250 player, a pioneer 434, a Proceed PMDT, and the original Panasonic U100.

So far I would say the 2200 is as expected. I believe it to be equal in performance to my old 3800. I dont see the chroma bug. I have it hooked up to a DLP projector and gray screen at 96" and the picture is fantastic on dvds. I believe its everything a 600 dollar player should be when playing dvds so on to my problems/questions.

The DVD Audio sounds great with my Fleetwood Mac, Al Green and Randy Newman DVDAs.

The SACD performance and bass adjustment is where my questions lie.

Im sure there has been much talk about this under 2900 threads but i just dont have time to read through hours of other comments.

There are two setup adjustements in play here. The Filter On/Off and the 2channel bass enhancer.

When filter is off, Multichannel SACDS have lots of bass and sound great. 2channel SACDs just come through on the Left and Right Speakers. NO SUB. 2channel bass enhancement cannot be enabled.

When filter is on, Multichannel SACDS lose the SUB info so the bass is lacking. 2channel SACDs sound fantastic cause i can now turn the 2channel bass enhancement on which directs lower info to the sub from the 2 front channels.

WHY can't the 2 channel enhancement work in conjunction with the filter off.

Or more importantly, HOW do I set up the player so that i get sub in the mix for 2channel SACD AND Multichannel SACD sends full sub info. I cant seem to get both to work without going into setup to change the fields.

Please help me, i want to resolve this.

DVDA, DTS DVDs and DD DVDs dont seem to be affected by the filter and 2channel bass enhancement parameters.

All comments welcome regarding SACD and DVDAudio setup.

Danny Williams

Houston, TX

·
Registered
784 Posts
In a nutshell the Dolby spec for two channel sub mix down is different in a DVD player than a tuner/amp, and all Denon DVD players meet this spec.

An amplifier/receiver can mix the sub bass information into L/R but a DVD cannot due to its limited signal headroom. You therefore have to enable the sub (sub on and filter on) and for two channel use re-direct the bass to the sub (bass enhancement on).

This is the way I have it set up (using the analog outputs) and it works just fine on DVD/DVDA/SACD and CD.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm almost sure I will buy this player when it's going to be released in Europe in a couple of weeks or so.

I have a few questions I hope you'll answer:

Does the tray make a lot of noise when playing DVDs/Cd's?

How is layer change? ( Non existent? Like 2900. )

Startup time and Menu selection?

How is two channel CD sound?

How well is pans being handled?

How is every day handling?

Regards

Rasmus Andersen

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Digione. I am not sure if i follow you.

I have the filter set to on and the bass enhancement on. This works great for listening to 2channel sources and 2channel SACDs and gives them the mixed sub output. What it also does when i put a multichannel SACD in, is make the bass (LFE) disappear. Why does the LFE track all of a sudden disappear?

What i want is 2channel enhancement and the multichannel SACD LFE track to work. I cant seem to ge the player to do these simultaneously under the same settings. the Multichannel SACD LFE track only come on when i turn the filter off!!!

What am i doing wrong.

I am using a 6channel pass through on my reciever and driving the system using a 5channel rotel amp. DO i literally have to just use two inputs on my reciever (2channel and 6channel) and toggle back and forth with the different 5.1 and 2.0 SACDS to be able to get sub on 2.0 material?

I can do that, its just i was hoping for the dvd player to do it for me. I mean it does do it, but not without going into setup and taking the filter off for the Multi SACDs.

Maybe clarify.....

Does the tray make a lot of noise when playing DVDs/Cd's?

no.

How is layer change? ( Non existent? Like 2900. )

havent gotten that far but will check it out with Amrmageddon Criterion (which i consider to be the worst)

Startup time and Menu selection?

Same as 3800, fastest i have seen.

How is two channel CD sound?

Pretty faithful. All depends on what amp and speakers. I see this question a lot. this isnt a best buy special and it isnt a mark levinson. so 2 channel sound is not going to be greatly effected as much as speakers and amps on the sound.

How well is pans being handled?

i am not familiar with this term....pans.

How is every day handling?

drawer is slower than my Proceed PMDT and not as smooth. BUT load up is faster so its a wash.

hope this helps.

danny

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks danny.

A camera pans in a direction, it moves and follows the thing that is being filmed (from longmans dictionary :) ).

A movie like Star Wars I & II would have a lot of pans or the the menu from "Lord of the rings EE" would also have a lot of pans.

Pans........Perhaps I have invented a new word in my own vocabulary ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
lovealego

I have to be very careful with how I explain this as I am not familiar with your set-up.

I would assume from your description that you may not have yet balanced the analog audio levels from the DVD 2900. Remember that the LFE output on the 2900 is always set to -10dB in the mode that I described. In this mode you must either make up for the loss of gain in the LFE channel with the input gain controls on your amplifier or reduce the gain of the output channels on the 2900 ( except the LFE channel) by -10dB.

If the gains are incorrectly setup I believe that you will hear the problem you are describing.

I would advise you to go to the Denon web site and view the audio setup document associated with the 2900.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4

Regards

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.