AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always connection my dvd players using the optical cable for Dolby Dig and DTS movie viewing. I have a post in the dvd forum regarding sound drop-outs when skipping chapters ahead or behind. I am using a Marantz SR5300 reciever. I am using the 6 channel analog outputs for listening to SACD and DVD-Audio. Just for the heck of it i left my reciever in the 6 channel analog mode and played a dvd movie. If i'm correct I am using the DVD players built in decoder when i do this right?? are there any sonic advantages or dissadvantages using the analog connections rather than the optical connection for movie viewing? Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Charles

·
Registered
383 Posts
If the DVD player has a better bass management implementation or higher quality DACs than your receiver, then you should just use the analog outs on your DVD player. The receiver and the DVD player have identical format decoding functionality, but typically a receiver will have more advanced DSP functions and more flexible bass management built in. On the other hand, the Burr-Brown DACs in the 2200 are top notch and probably better than what typically goes into a lower to midlevel receiver. So, to answer your question, it depends. Your receiver and DVD player duplicate a lot of one another's functions, you should experiment with both approaches and see which ones you like better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.