AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hooking up my DVD-2200 I calibrated it before listening or viewing any dvd's. Set up was pretty simple. I first listened to a couple DVD-audio discs and was very pleased with the sound. Much better than the Pioneer 563a that I was using. SACD was 100% better, more bass!! Then i switched to DVD-video. Here is where I ran into a problem. Everything seemed fine until I skipped a couple chapters ahead while watching Blade II. The audio dissapeared. I had to stop the movie and restart it to get any audio to play. after playing with the Denon some more I found that if I skipped a chapter ahead or back I have to either press pause and then play to get any audio or select Dolby Digital on my recievers remote again to get any sound. hmm...... I never had this happen with any other DVD players, this is my 4th. I went back into the Denon's set-up menus to double check all of my settings, everything looks ok. I am using a Marantz SR5300 reciever which automatically checks the incoming audio format from the DVD player and decodes it.

Has anyone had similar issues with the DVD-2200??

Another question. Does anyone use the 6 channel analog outputs from the 2200 while watching DVD-video? I tried it instead of using the digital output, sounded pretty good, didn't have the sound drop-out issue like I did using the Digital output.

Any help or opinions are appreciated!!

Charles

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes - I just installed and set-up a 2200 for a friend and he preferred the sound of the analog outs to the sound of his entry level receiver doing the work. He has not experienced the chapter skip issue you talk about.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Charles Scott:

Its a possibility that it is your Marantz receiver rather than Denon 2200 which is causing the problem. Click here and here and you'll find some info about audio drop-out issue with Marantz receivers.

You can also try doing search on for Marantz receivers threads in 'amps & receivers section'.

Rhoniel

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've experienced exactly what you are talking about Charles. I had the same audio dropouts while skipping chapters with a Denon DVD-910. I had the 910 hooked up to Harman/Kardon AVR-325 receiver. I found that it would only drop the audio if it was playing a DTS-ES track. It also only did it if my reciever was set up for standard DTS 5.1, which it is. I don't have rear center speakers, just 5.1. If I lied to the reciever and said I had the two rear speakers and let it fully decode the DTS-ES track, the dropouts dissapeared. I think it is a communication problem between the receiver and DVD player. I think the receiver is just too slow to lock on the signal and it will drop it. It probably has to do with the receiver having to mix those two rear surrounds into just two rear channels. Hitting stop and play would fix it.

The odd thing is, I returned the 910 and now have a 2200. I don't have the dropout problems on the 2200 at all. There is a quick stutter in the audio when skipping chapters on a DTS-ES track but that is all, it never drops out completely like the 910 did.

I'd place the blame more on your receiver. You may even find that it only happens on DTS-ES tracks. I never had the problem with Dolby Digital or standard DTS. You mentioned you were playing Blade II which does have a DTS-ES track. The discs I noticed it on were both Extended Editions of Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribean and Austin Powers in Goldmember.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I use the 6 channel analog outputs of the 2200 to the reciever while watching DVD video, I am using the DVD players decoder correct? Any dissadvantages to doing it this way rather than using the single optical connection sonically? I have always used the optical connection but if the analog connection is equal or better than i might just use this method. Any thoughts??

Charles

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes you are using the 2200's decoder. As for what's better for movies - try them both and see which you prefer. Some prefer the bass management and 6.1/7.1 options available in their receivers using a digital signal over that available in the player.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently do not use 6.1 or 7.1 so that's not a consideration right now. As for bass management, the Denon DVD-2200 has about the same b/m capabilities as does the Marantz reciever. I plan on sitting down tonight and viewing a couple movies in DTS and DD to do a comparison. Thanks

Charles

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
If the audio problem is in the receiver's decoder, using the decoding in the player and sending an anlog signal (6) through the Marantz should eliminate (hide) the problem. If the problem is in the Denon, it will still show up no matter how it's connected.

If nothing else, you can determine where the problem is. Of course, it could be a problem with the digital output of the Denon that the Marantz doesn't like, in which case using the analog outs may hide the problem even though it could still be a Denon issue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got done watching a familiar DVD (The Matrix) to compare digital connection vs. analog. I had to do a little tweaking with the Denon but overall it sounded very good. The soundtrack sounded a bit more robust in the analog connection mode imo. I am using high quality cables (Audience Maestros) so this may make the difference too. Or the Denon's dac is better than my Marantz reciever. The Denon 2200 uses Burr Brown's and the Marantz uses Cirrus Logic. Hmmm....

Charles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.