AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my older Toshiba dvd player. I want a player with SACD and DVD-A. The Denon and Yamaha are in my price range and both seem to get good reviews. Has anyone compared the two?? I considered a couple of cheaper players but bass management is important to me so they are out of the question. How is the CD playback quality on either of these models? Thanks for any input you guys can give me!!

Charles

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can share with you my experience with the Yama and a Denon 2800-II. I had the Denon for about a month and tested it quit thoroughly. I had some issues such as locking up on some dvd’s and some graininess at times, but over all was a good unit. I returned it for the yama 2300 and for watching movies, it’s been a no problem at all unit. In film mode(move mode) it is truly wonderful. The SACD and DVD-Audio works great although slow to get to menu and tracks, but the sound is wonderful. Bass management sucks IMO, as does all that I have tried to date. For some reason the 6-ch mode on these units just don’t have it when it comes to bass. All in all I would recommend the Yamaha to anyone that wants a good DVD player and have the SACD and DVD-Audi with it. It’s not the best, but it’s very very good.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HD4life,

You mentioned bass management issues. What is the problem with the Yamaha and bass management? I've heard of probs with the Denons so I'm interested to hear any opinions on the Yamaha.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
To be honest I really can't tell you what the problem is, other than when playing SACD's or DVD-Audio's there just isn't much botom end. Compared to regular cd's and movies. I have had this situation with a few recievers and players.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The Denon 2200 retails for $600, while the Yamaha 2300 retails for $999. The Denon 2900 also retails for $999, making it a much closer comparison financially speaking.

I own the 2900 and had the Yamaha 2300 in my system for about a month; I returned it.

I could never get a picture that satisfied me out of the 2300. Whites always seemed too "hot" and glowed on white to black transitions (like a white shirt collar against a black coat). Overall, I found the 2300 to have sort of a "hard" or artifical look. It was good picture to be sure, but not as good as I have seen, and not my preference of presentation.

The 2300 has a few other things I disliked: The layer change is EASILY noticeable, clocking in at 2.5 or so seconds on DVDs with poorly placed layer changes (like Star Wars Episode II for example). The transport controls were also kind of slow; not as god awfully slow as the Sony 999ES, but still slow. The menus and overall user interface are ok. The remote is cheezy and literally creaks in your hand; no big deal. There is NO standby power position available. The hard button on the front panel is your only choice. I opted to just leave it turned on all the time.

Finally, the 2300 is kind of "two players in one chassis" with respect to DVD-A and SACD. Each format has it's own setup menu for speaker size, levels, etc. Again, not a big deal bit a little odd. The overall build quality is good, but not up to the level of the Denon 2900 in my opinion.

On the other hand, the 2900 is nearly a dream machine. Layer changes are invisible due to the buffer memory. Transport controls are *lightning* fast. The remote is no prize, but at least it doesn't creak. :)

There is a standby mode available from the remote; it also has discrete on and off remote buttons, so setting up a learning remote with macros is a snap.

The overall user interface is better than the 2300 in my opinion, but it's just that: an opinion.

I also greatly prefer the image quality of the 2900 over the 2300 (or the Sony 999ES for that matter). It has a very 3D-like, sharp, saturated image. Even DVDs that have not been praised for amazing transfer quality look pretty good.

Again, all of this applies to the 2900, not the 2200. I'd expect the buffer, menus, and overall picture quality to be similar, but I can't speak from personal experience. I can tell you that based on transport speed and layer change alone, I'd be more inclined towards the 2200 than the Yamaha 2300.

Enjoy,

Brian.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian,

thanks for your informative reply. For some reason I thought the Yamaha could be had for less than the Denon 2900. That's the only reason I was comparing it with the 2200. In the end I will probably go with either the Denon 2900 or 2200, I just wanted some comparative input from anyone with experience with the Yamaha before I made my final decision. I have demoed the 2900 and liked it very much but no dealers in my area carry the Yamaha line.

Again Thanks,

Charles

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zoro,

I was wondering the same thing. For the price difference I would love to hear if anyone has compared the two.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
2200, lacks some video adjustments, options, lighter in weight, use diferent DACS, may be DENON JEFF can throw somelight if 2900, prob has been fixed in 2200..?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your input. I think I will narrow my decision down to either the Denon 2200 or the 2900. I will have to wait and see the specs on the 2200.

Thanks

Charles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.