AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to resolve this issue even after posts in two different swedish forums, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

Let me start from the beginning:

I ordered a DVD-2800 mkII and the PT-AE100 at about the same time. The first week I didn't have a componentcable so I had it temporarily hooked up with s-video.

When I finally got my componentcable and hooked it up I see some clearly visible vertical lines in the picture, and also some sort of "sweeping" over the image. This is visible both when playing a movie and in the dvd-players background.

It is more visible when running in progressive, but still noticable in interlaced.

When switching to s-video I se NONE of these problems.

First, I tested another componentcable - same problem.

I have also in sheer desperation tried another powercord, and connecting the power to various electrical outlets in my apartment.

I've tried fiddling with every possible setting in both the player and projector.

Then, I tried my player with another PT-AE100 at another guys house - same problem. This leads me to believe that the problem lies with the player.

Carries the player down to my local retailer, where we try it against another projector (can't remember which one though) connected via component. It shows NO errors what so ever.

The guy at the store speculated about the mkII:s 14-bit videoprocessing and the projector not being able to handle that high a frequency, or something like that, but when we checked the PT-AE100:s specs we found that it should be able to.

So, what am I to do? I bought the player because it's capable of progressive scan, and the projector because of it's low price. Please tell me there's a solution to this???

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi

we tested 2 2800MK2 here in Belgium with a Piano Avanti and the PTAE100 in component: exactly the same problems, worse in progressive. it was very visible with the Panasonic, a bit less dramatic with the Piano.

Denon is starting to get aware of this and will fix it imho. it's something perhaps similar to what happened to some "other" player in late 2001, an issue with the filtering chips on the component card.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
as for the 14bit reason, it's false: we tested the A1 from DENON(14bit 108mhz) on both projectors: no problem and fabulous image.

the vertical lining of some of the 2800MK2 has probably all to do with the filtering chips on the YUV video card.

once corrected, the 2800MK2 will be again considered an excellent player.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers David.

So the thing for me to do right now is to wait for a solution from Denon? Or should I send my player in for repair right away?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi

I'd send it right away, the more players with this 'issue' arrive to their technical departments (note: not all 2800MK2 players seem to have this problem), the faster imho this issue will be resolved.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
The guy at the store speculated about the mkII:s 14-bit videoprocessing and the projector not being able to handle that high a frequency, or something like that, but when we checked the PT-AE100:s specs we found that it should be able to.
The DENON DVD-2800 MKII's video DACs are 12-bit, not 14-bit.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
indeed, it proves the guy at the shop knows nothing, hence my comment with the A1 example, proving the bit and mhz have nothing to do here.

we tested the A1 on both projectors, pristine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been in corresponce with the shop where I purchased it, and they seem reluctant to repair it. I've had some vague comments about the projector can't identify the synchro-signal right and such, without offering a possible solution.

A real nightmare would be if they decided to play the blame-game and go with: "It's not the dvd it's the projector" and vice versa.

I've tried mailing Denon about this but haven't yet recieved a reply.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a simular problem with my Denon DVD3800 and Panasonic PT AE100.

On some scenes i get sloping lines crossing the picture from right to left or left to right. I tried to connect with Component to RGBHV (VGA) converter instead of component tonight and could not reproduse the lines i saw on Windtalkers with component earlier tonight.

I will test this more tomorrow, to late now it's midnight here now.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
the shop not cooperative is not surprising.

but Denon after sales technical service is the one to ask, I suppose you have a local one in your country.

I'll keep you update of what feedback and possible ( hopeful) remedy we can get here in Belgium. it's up to Denon Japan to study the issue imho.

this shouldn't be a very difficult problem to solve, it's likely the YUV filtering chipcs that need to be replaced with lower impedance models.

perhaps DenonJeff can help here too, I'll ask him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I've emailed the retailer where I bought it, in Germany. I have to send it back to them and they'll send it to Denon in Germany.

I specifically wrote that I wanted to be contacted if there were any questions, so hopefully I won't get the unit back with a description such as "no error found" or something like that.

I've worked handling people who had to ship their stuff (computers) 3-4 times before the service-technicians actually found (and fixed) the error.

Hopefully the denon-technicians are more professional than that.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi

make sure you showed them where to look first: most probably, they should check the filtering chips and their impedance on the YUV video card.

no feedback yet from Denon Belgium here, probably still waiting for Japan to react.

keep me in touch, I will too.

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm upping this thread since i STILL have no solution to my problem.

The dvd-player came back from service without any change what so ever, the service statement said "cable error????" which felt like a slap in the face after the very extensive information I've provided them with (it's NOT a cable error!).

Doesn't ANYONE have the same setup that I do, a Denon DVD-2800 mkII and a Panasonic PT-AE100 ?

The PT-AE100 displays a beatifully progressive picture with my NTSC Gamecube, so the problem can't be with the projector.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't help you with your problem but I can confirm that Denon germany (repair by Gast Electronic GmbH) are a joke. I wrote a long letter to desciribe the famous "freezing/pausing" problem and got my denon 3800 back with the comment "no fault found...test ok".

per

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi !

Your Problem sounds familiar to me. I also own a Denon 2800 MKII ( a Replacement for an old 2800 MKI which had the Freeze Problems) and a Panasonic 100 ae. The Output YUV shows a lot of vertical lines troughout the whole Picture and the pal-Progressive firmware even make them more visible. I send my denon in early January to the denon service and got it back in late march. i was told that there wasn´t any vertical lines when they tested it . by the way they seemed to be pi***d off by the "unofficial" firmware i used. i finally bought me a marantz 4300 in early april which makes an clear Pal-Prog. picture via YUV because im trough with this piece of crap which cost me nearly as much as 2 marantz 4300.

The Denon should have been the answer to all my HT-Needs (no Layer-break, Pal-Prog) but has become a little Nightmare to me.

Sorry for my miserable english !

Bye

todd_gaines

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.