AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have been reading about the bass levels being too low in this player, but i'm having a different issue i think. I'm listening to a dvd-a in 2 channel mode. My question is that the sub doesn't seem to be kicking in under this playback config. Does anyone know what the issue is?

I noticed that in the audio confi setup, I have the dvd-audio set to 2 channel and the bass enhancement gets greyed out so I can't edit it. I have the sub connected straight in to the sub output on the 2900 and the l/r cannels connected to a passive preamp. Is there something I need to do to set enable the sub? Does the dvd-a 2channel mode not support one?

I'm baffled. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think you will find that in 2 ch mode, no signal is available to be sent from the sub output of the 2900 (or any player). Frankly, when I am playing a 2ch DVD-A or SACD, I run the second "front" outputs through another (in my case "CD" since the 2900 serves as my redbook player as well) analog input that will provide a signal to my sub. Maybe this helps!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MRinDenver
I think you will find that in 2 ch mode, no signal is available to be sent from the sub output of the 2900 (or any player).
I don't think that is correct (the any player part at least). The 3800 has a 2-ch Bass Enhancer selection that does this. I'm guessing from the original post, the 2900 does not have this option.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiky
Get out of 2 channel mode. That mode is for those with 2 speakers only. Switch into multichannel mode.
If I use the multichannel mode, won't some parts of the signal go to the center and surrounds? That's what I want to avoid. I want to listen in only 2 channel mode and still be able to sent the lower frequencies to the sub. I'm beginning to think that's impossible...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Set your DVD to Multi Channel (for example fleetwood mac 5.1 hi rez);

Set the 2900 to Multi Channel;

Set your Front Speakers to Large and None to Center/Surround Yes to Sub;

Set the Filter to "Off";

Return/Return

Press Play and voila'...

Magic...

The noise level in the multi channel modes (Pink Floyd, Fleetwood, Steely Dan) is much more noticeable in CD/Stereo modes.

Do some switching and you'll see that the multi channel mode is best even using the crossovers in the dvd player ie rolling the center/surrounds to the mains.

mark

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Set your DVD to Multi Channel (for example fleetwood mac 5.1 hi rez);
Note that the 5.1 mix and the 2 channel mix can be quite different sounding. I'm not home to try it, but I think that using all of the rest of your setup techniques, *but* keeping the DVD-A in 2 channel mode, will let you hear the 2 channel mix and use the subwoofer to produce the lows from the 2 channel mix (i.e., the bass that is redirected from the L and R mains).

On the Fleetwood Mac DVD-A in particular, I found a *lot* more ambient information in the 5.1 mix than the 2 channel mix. It made the soundstage seem way deeper than I'm used to hearing on my system, but it seemed a little "off" at the same time. Overall, I think I prefered the 2 channel mix on this DVD-A, but it was kind of a toss up.

Anyway, the main point of this is just to point out that the mixes can be substantially different, and you should try both.

Enjoy,

Brian.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiky
Get out of 2 channel mode. That mode is for those with 2 speakers only. Switch into multichannel mode.
Not necessarily so. I am running 5 speakers + subwoofer but I still prefer 2-channel stereo hi-rez. Why ?

To do hi-rez multichannel "right", you need 5 identical full-range speakers, identical amplification, identical interconnects, identical speaker cables.

I have none of the above and the quality of my 2-channel speakers/amps/cables is much better than for the center/rears. I suspect there are very few people who have the ideal configuration. Doing hi-rez "right" costs money.

Not to mention the ITU standard for 5.1 -channel audio is not compatible with most HT standards (especially THX configurations)

OTOH, My 2-channel SACD player is MUCH better than my 5-channel SACD player which makes my 2-channel preference stand out more.

BTW, I won't use bass management on a hi-rez audio system. I run full range (though my mains are much bigger than my center/rears). This is an Achilles heel for SACD as BM probably works better with DVD-A than SACD. Or let me display my SACD bigotry: trying to use BM on SACD reduces the sonic qualities to that of your typical DVD-A material :)

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaddaBob
Can someone tell me if it is possible to set the crossover frequency on the 2900?
No, fixed at 80 Hz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.