AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Denon DVD-2900 in on Tuesday. Road trip to Tweeters in Birmingham. It's connected to my 60" GWIII.

One of the first things I did was run it through the Avia Y/C test to find that blue green and red were off by -.07. I played a few DVDs and then Wednesday night tested it again to find that all three colors on the Y/C test were just about dead on "0". This is a good thing as I've read from a reviewer that on their 2900 the blue was off -.14 and red and green were off by -.07. Either these player needs a little burn in time or perhaps Denon changed it up somehow.

Also, would like to point out that when you go into the picture control feature with adjustments for brightness, contrast, sharpness, tint, and hold onto your socks, "GAMMA", you've got a heck of a lot of flexibility in your picture. There are 5 memories that you can program along with standard.

I've only recently discovered the wide variations in picture quality of DVDs. Some are a little green looking while others are a little flat. With the 2900 you can set up a memory to correct a DVD's deficiency. I had a pleasant surprise while playing "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". Set the 2900 to "darker" in the setup menu (to provide a "0" black level) then increased contrast and sharpness in one of the picture control memories. The resulting picture is excellent.

Audio. I know what a lot of authorities say about digital audio from DVD is the same regardless of players. But my experience has been different. On my B&K ref 50, I had set a variable equalizer setting to get a bit more bass out of my other DVD players. On the 2900, the same setting is too much. Changed the ref 50s setting to flat. Also noticed that in general terms the 2900 sound a little harsh at first, but has settled down. I would say that with only a few hours on it, it already sounds better than several other players that I've had. Only exception was the LG LST-3510 that sounded great out of the box. Unfortunately, picture quality wasn't that good (soft picture with artifacts) and ultimately it locked up and died.

Although I had considered getting the 5900, I'm very pleased with the 2900 and will be keeping it.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've got the 2900's little brother, the 2200. So far I've been very pleased with the 2200. The picture control memory is a nice feature and the video quality from the unit is superb. Mine is connected to a Hitachi 51S700 CRT RPTV.

It's a small world Jim, I also live in Wetumpka, AL. I was suprised to see someone else posting from Wetumpka.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.