AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been waiting and waiting for someone to come out with a Blu-Ray / SACD Multi- player, but that looks like it is still a good ways away. Even if/when they are announced, I probably will not want to pay the price they will want for the new combo. So I have decided to go ahead with and get either the Denon 2930CI DVD player or the PS3. Here is what I already have...a Denon 4308ci reciever, and a Home Theater PC that has Blu-ray playback. I primarily and interested in SACD playback via either Denon Link III or HDMI.

So here is what I see as the Pro's and Con's to each...

Denon 2930CI

Pro's, ....SACD via Denon III link, Outstanding regular DVD playback, "true digital dolby/DTS" ( I think that is what it is called) output.

Con's...No Blu-ray playback, no gameplay

PS3

Pro's,...SACD via HDMI, Game playback, Blu-ray, (My Home theater PC works fine, but it is the only Blu-Ray I have ever seen, and to be honest, it doesn't look 'THAT" much better than standard DVD...Currently a Sony DVP-NS90V) ) I would like to have another to choose between when I watch a movie.

Con's...Uses up an HDMI port, "average DVD playback" (no upscaling)

Will I notice any audible difference between the Denon Link III and HDMI?

I already have a XBOX 360 and Wii, so gameplay is not THAT important. I mostly would be concerned about SACD quality and standard DVD playback quality.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam74Gibson /forum/post/14345115

Well, I have been waiting and waiting for someone to come out with a Blu-Ray / SACD Multi- player, but that looks like it is still a good ways away. Even if/when they are announced, I probably will not want to pay the price they will want for the new combo. So I have decided to go ahead with and get either the Denon 2930CI DVD player or the PS3. Here is what I already have...a Denon 4308ci reciever, and a Home Theater PC that has Blu-ray playback. I primarily and interested in SACD playback via either Denon Link III or HDMI.

So here is what I see as the Pro's and Con's to each...

Denon 2930CI

Pro's, ....SACD via Denon III link, Outstanding regular DVD playback, "true digital dolby/DTS" ( I think that is what it is called) output.

Con's...No Blu-ray playback, no gameplay

PS3

Pro's,...SACD via HDMI, Game playback, Blu-ray, (My Home theater PC works fine, but it is the only Blu-Ray I have ever seen, and to be honest, it doesn't look 'THAT" much better than standard DVD...Currently a Sony DVP-NS90V) ) I would like to have another to choose between when I watch a movie.

Con's...Uses up an HDMI port, "average DVD playback" (no upscaling)

Will I notice any audible difference between the Denon Link III and HDMI?

I already have a XBOX 360 and Wii, so gameplay is not THAT important. I mostly would be concerned about SACD quality and standard DVD playback quality.

Any advice is appreciated.

I can't speak on audio quality, but have a few comments otherwise:

2930 pros:

- can be made region-free really easily with a few remote key strokes

- can play DVD-Audio

- 2930 is quiet and built like a tank

- standard IR remote

Of course the 2930 is much more expensive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback... I am considering Ecost.com has them (refurb's) for $429. So about the same price as a PS3. I have had good luck with the couple of refurbs I have bought, so maybe I will take a shot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts