Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

The thread on this specific machine died down.

Just checking the availability (I understand they have just started shipping)

of the machine and whether anyone has demo'd the machine yet.

DenonJeff - can you weigh in here?

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
413 Posts
Crutchfield starting shipping them May 9th. Problems so far are 1) has the chroma bug. 2) Doesn't play DVD-Audio discs from AIX.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Craig F

Thanks. Do you have one? If so, how is the Audio portion and is the Chroma bug as bad as the 2800 with firmware upgrade?

Frank

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, I have one, but it may be going back soon, if Denon does not tell me a fix is imminent for the DVD-A problem.

I did some comparisons on stereo DVD-A tracks (96kHz/24-bit) against my Integra 6.2 receiver. I verified my receiver was receiving the 96kHz signal and not a down-sampled one. The Denon was definitely better. It sounded more open, and seemed to have more “lifeâ€.

I can’t personally comment on the chroma bug. I have an old 27†TV connected via s-video and I do not notice it. Other reports range from about the same as the 2800 to very slight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Frank.

I have a 3800 too and the DVD-Audio performance is great. While the chroma bug is obvious using the right material on my 92" projection screen, the deinterlacing performace is first rate.

Hope that Denon can come up with a fix for the chroma bug. Anyone know how to check the firmware version in the 3800?

Chris

·
Registered
413 Posts
The problem only happens with DVD-A discs from AIX Records. No sound comes from the center or rear channels, although the player's display indicates that a 5.1 mix was found.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig F
The problem only happens with DVD-A discs from AIX Records. No sound comes from the center or rear channels, although the player's display indicates that a 5.1 mix was found.
Why would this only be a problem with AIX DVD-As? I just purchased everything AIX was showing at the Home Entertainment show in New York in anticipation of purchasing a DVD-A system. They're fantastic even on my DVD Video setup! Denon was one of the companies I was looking at for new equipment.

Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Why would this only be a problem with AIX DVD-As?
Good question. I immediately called Denon tech support, which was on May 14th. I have not heard back yet. I called yesterday (Friday May 31st) and the guy I talked was out of the office, so I plan to call again on Monday to get an update.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Craig F

Let us know what Denon support says about the AIX disc.

Here in Raleigh, no one is stocking the 3800. I know of two that were sold, prior to me getting to the store. They appear to be special order only.

The dealers are stocking the Denon 1600 and appear to be very pleased with the product.

Frank

·
Registered
413 Posts
FrankC,

I called the Denon rep today. I got his voice-mail and left a message. No word yet.

As a side note. I am getting some freezes on some discs, 3 so far. The only disc where it was really bad was Planet of the Apes. In one chapter, 17 I think, it was stop and go for at least 5 minutes. Freezes lasted anywhere from a split second to 5 or 6 seconds. These discs all played flawlessly on my ancient Toshiba. Beware, I think we have a beta situation on our hands here. Right now there is a 95% chance this puppy's going back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had similar problems with the Denon 2800 freezing and stuttering. This only happened occasionally at first but became more frequent with time. The Planet of the Apes was particularly bad. I returned the unit for service along with the Planet so that they could fix the problem but when the unit was returned the freezing continued so I now no longer own a Denon.

I am sorry to hear that the 3800 has a similar problem as well as the upsampling error. I actually liked the picture quality aside from chroma.

The Saint

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:
... I am getting some freezes on some discs, 3 so far. The only disc where it was really bad was Planet of the Apes. In one chapter, 17 I think, it was stop and go for at least 5 minutes. Freezes lasted anywhere from a split second to 5 or 6 seconds. ...
It just goes to show that the Denon has good taste. POTA sucked and your player is throwing up. :D

But on a serious note, sorry to hear the 3800 isn't doing so well... it looks like they released it without adequate testing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
It just goes to show that the Denon has good taste. POTA sucked and your player is throwing up.
I gave it some Pepto-Bismal, now nothing works :D

Well, I never heard back from Denon, so I boxed it up today to send it back. The ancient Toshiba lives again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Craig F,

Sorry to hear the news. What is even more disappointing is the lack

of a call back.

Has Jeff (DenonJeff) been forbidden to post on this board? His insight and

comments are missed.

Frank

·
Registered
523 Posts
Quote:
The ancient Toshiba lives again.
I've had zero problems with both my ancient 2109 and my newer 4700. There may be technically better players, but in terms of ease of use, reliability and price, they're hard to beat.

I *will* buy another player with ergonomics and multi-step zoom and features as good or better than my 4700 and is also chroma bug free when one comes along.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
I've had zero problems with both my ancient 2109 and my newer 4700.
I have the more ancient 2108. It has a known audio drop out problem which is annoying. Due to its age, it's not worth getting fixed, so I am looking for a new one. I figured I'd go DVD-A while I'm at it. The Denon 3800 looked so promising.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Craig - my neighbor had a 2108. He complained about dropouts and Toshiba swapped it out for a 2109.

I got the 4700 because I couldn't find anything better overall, actually, at any price. And yes, I tried the Panasonic RP91 (quirky, although a great picture most of the time). And the 4700 has DVD-A. I spent almost as much for cables as for player :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.