AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Denon 5900 and when viewing DVD's there is obvious interference on the tv screen. The best way to describe it would be waves continually rolling down the screen. Some are small (a bit bigger than the scan lines) and some considerably larger in size (about 1-2 inches I guess). It almost looks like interference one might see when using rabbit ears and getting a really poor reception on the tv.

I have a satellite dish and the picture it produces on the tv, both standard and high def pictures are just fine, no interference at all so the problem is obviously coming through the DVD player. I also have a VCR and the picture it produces is just fine as well.

Has anyone encountered this type of problem with their 5900? I know there are a lot of issues with this player but after a search of the threads no one mentioned the problem I am having.

Where does everyone keep their player in relation to other equipment? I'm thinking the player may be picking up the interference from a near by component and the result is visible on my tv. Due to the weight and build quality of this player you wouldn't think it would be susceptible to interference from other devices but I guess it is possible.

I have a six shelf audio stand that is directly beside my tv. In it, from bottom to top are the following:

Anthem MCA-50

Furman IT-Reference (Discrete Symmetrical Power unit)

Denon 5900

Bryston 4B- SST

Lexicon MC-12B

Technics SL-MC7 (CD Mega changer), Panasonic VCR, Express Vu Model 6000 Satellite receiver (these last 3 units are stacked on the top shelf)

On the opposite side of the stand is one of my front speakers, a Paradigm Studio 100.

Since I just got my MC-12 yesterday the Anthem and Bryston amps have never been turned on, not even plugged in as I had nothing to connect them to. The only real active components the DVD player was next to was my Furman power unit, the tv and the speaker. Even my old receiver sat where I have the Bryston now so it was two shelves away which should be more than enough room so as not to pick up interference but the problem existed then as well. I should also mention that the maximum clearance between components in the rack is no more than 3 inches.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rod,

How about your cables coming from the player? Are they good quality/shielded? They could be picking up the interference from just about anything. That would be my first guess.

Sounds like your stacking alot of stuff together. Heat buildup, although not causing this problem, would be a concern of mine for future early component failure.

John

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I accidently listed the wrong order of the components. It should have been, from bottom to top:

Anthem MCA-50

Denon 5900

Furman IT-Reference (Discrete Symmetrical Power unit)

Bryston 4B- SST

Lexicon MC-12B

Technics SL-MC7 (CD Mega changer), Panasonic VCR, Express Vu Model 6000 Satellite receiver (these last 3 units are stacked on the top shelf)

Yeah I noticed I forgot about the tv. It is old (so to speak), just over 3 years, it is a Hitachi 53FDX01B. My video cables consist of 1 Monster component, 2 Acoustic Research component cables, a cheap component cable used for my Xbox (the one that came with my satellite receiver) and an Acoustic Research S-Video cable. The Monster and Acoustic Research component cables are not dirt cheap but certainly not high end, they were all about $100.00 each.

The following is what I tried today.

I tried all of my component cables running from my DVD player (set to progressive scan mode) both directly to the tv and through my MC-12. No affect on the signal.

I tried the above using the interlaced mode in the DVD player and used my S-Video cable. Possibly a slight reduction in interference but it was still there.

I pulled the DVD player out of the rack and set it on the floor about 1.5 feet in front of the rack and did the same component cable experiment, and switched back to progressive mode. No affect on the signal.

I tried the S-Video cable again while the unit was on the floor and switched back to interlaced mode. The same very slight improvement in the signal was present.

I unplugged the DVD player from the Furman and plugged it into my old power bar and ran all of the above experiments again and all produced the same results.

Honestly I don't know what else to try.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Disconnect all the cables going in and out of your satellite rcvr and any Cable TV going to the TV..VCR..or Sat rcvr.....disconnect all of it ...and unplug them from the wall.

Connect you DVD player directly to the TV using composite or S-Vid or component and see what happens....it seems like a ground loop to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Rod,

I am experiencing the same problem but with a full rack of Rotel components and till date have not been able to solve the problem. Totally frustrating!

The suggestion made by Rosano makes absolute sense and is backed up by many stories on the Internet. I have actually tried all of that yesterday evening but unfortunately without any luck. The interference remains. The funny thing is that my Rotel processor (RSP-1098) also has a TFT screen and the same interference is visible on that screen without having hooked up any other components like TV, cable and so forth. Just the DVD player, Processor and two Power amplifiers.

I have today asked for my Rotel distributor to come to my house and advise me what to do next. I have also asked him to bring along with him a new DVD player to check that my unit is not faulty.

Will keep you informed if I find out anything worthwhile.

Rgds,

Olaf

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
RodS and others

Wouldn't it be easier to take the DVD player to someone else's home to see if you get the same effect?? That should narrow it down between the player and other devices.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done what Rosano suggested. I have disconnected the RF cable going into my satellite receiver and unplugged it from my Furman. I also disconnected my RF cable tv cable that ran from the wall directly into the tv (I use analog cable tv when my dish occasionally goes out). I have no RF connections running into my VCR so I just left that plugged in. After doing all of this it is possible it made some difference, it's really hard to tell but the problem could be considered slightly improved. I tried both interlaced and progressive modes and didn't see a distinct difference here.

I had a friend come over and take a look. I let him watch without me telling him when I seen the interference for a while and then we watched the same passages again and I pointed out to him every time I seen the problem. No matter how hard he tried he said he could see no interference of any sort, he just kept marveling over how great the picture looked.

I did some further research on the forums and have since switched to Auto 2 which I really think reduced the problem. I also switched inputs on my tv as a really more annoying problem was taking place where the picture would constantly disappear (the sound always remained) when I was in progressive mode. In interlaced mode the picture never disappeared. After the input switch my progressive modes work perfectly. I figure the problem was a result of the tv not saying that one of the component inputs was for interlaced 480i use while the other was for true high def use plus 480p. The interference is no doubt always there but where it really pops out at me are on scenes with a lot of orange or shades of orange and red.

Since my friend never seen the problem is it possible that I am just more sensitive to the scanning process, sort of like how some people have a hard time with single chip DLP displays where they can see the flicker of the color wheel spinning?

The final thing to try is what JimP suggests, take the player to another tv. I have another friend with the same tv as mine (1 year newer) so I'll eventually take the player over to his place and give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.