AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The operating manual for the new Denon-DVD-5900 is available on their web site.

Has anyone heard any more news on the availability of this unit?

· Registered
4,967 Posts
Thanks Mike. I'm wondering the same thing. Folks seem to have lost some interest when they:

1) Heard the Price.

2) Found out the DVI was not yet enabled.

Post if you hear more news.

-- Cain

· Registered
3,411 Posts
My dealer expects it in about 2 weeks...Here in Albuquerque...Also said he would give me back what I paid him for my 2900 in trade.

Bummer about the DVI, though, and he is strictly an Audio dealer, so isn't that conversant on video issues.

I didn't know about the DVI being disabled when I talked to him today, so I'll ask him next time I see him if he heard at CEDIA when it would be enabled.

Sure looks like a killer unit though.

Wonder if he'll make me the same trade on the 3803 for a 5803, though I didn't buy it from him....

· Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm still interested. :)

My TV doesn't have DVI, and my impression is, that HDMI might be the future anyway.

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Reply to my inquiry as to when it will become available:

"Dear Robert,

Yes, the end of this month or the beginning of

October.

Best Regards,

J. McGuinness

Customer Service Manager

Denon Electronics (USA), LLC

19 Chapin Road, Building C

Pine Brook, N.J. 07058-9777
[email protected]

(973) 396-0810 Main

(973) 396-7492 Direct

(973) 396-7459 Fax
www.usa.denon.com "

· Registered
4,967 Posts
Thanks Robert !!

Now, the next question is:

Given Denon's recent history wiht DVD players that looked great on paper, but ended up with some serious flaw, are you gonna jump in ASAP, or wait to see if this player really is "the one" ??

-- Cain

· Registered
1,714 Posts
For the $$$ they're asking, I'm going to anxiously wait for the Secrets review before I sell my current Denon DVM-4800 and pick up this one. Stacy, are you listening?? :)

· Registered
4,669 Posts
Hmmm, I don't see anything in the manual about 480p scaling of 4:3 sources like Denon's DVM4800. Just a "zoom" feature. Please can someone make this feature again??

· Registered
116 Posts
drvais,

What do you think we can get for the 4800?

Mine is in great shape and I got it for a song ($399) at a "scratch and dent sale".

With 2 kids under 2 though I wonder if I will miss the 5 disc change on the "fly" ability.

Although I love DVD-A, but all the discs I want are SACD.

KidDoc

· Registered
1,714 Posts
They aren't selling for very much on eBay, so I'll probably take a value hit and try selling it for $399.

To be honest, I'd give up 5 disc capability for better PQ and no apparent layer change.

Did anyone else notice under the "Features" section in the manual (page 6), when it talks about Firewire, it mentions how the DVD-5900's Firewire connection can be used to transmit video? Only later in the manual does it talk about solely outputting audio via that connection.

I wonder if we can hope that one day Denon would turn on the video out portion via a firmware upgrade, if that is possible of course?

· Registered
4,967 Posts
Quote:
Did anyone else notice under the "Features" section in the manual (page 6), when it talks about Firewire, it mentions how the DVD-5900's Firewire connection can be used to transmit video?
Yes I did notice that and I noticed TWO firewire jacks on the rear of the unit.

· Registered
5,723 Posts
The 5900 has gone back to using the ESS MPEG decoder so it does not have the Alt. flag problem that the 2900 has.

It does have the 3 aspect ratio modes you need, but they must be changed through the UI.

Denon is the only mass-market company who is making every effort to build a high quality player. Samsung has an interest in this area and with Joe Kane's help, they too will be releasing better products.

Now that Pioneer has dumped Mitsubishi MPEG decoders they might have a nice solution. Their TiVo / DVD recorder has a DCDi logo on the front panel. Their new displays also have the ISF feature, which is brilliant.

as of 9/10 HDMI products can now be released. Pioneer and Meridian have the first two approved DVD players.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.