AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone received their firmware updates via the Mail if they have requested them? I originally requested an update May 26th. I waited and waited and requested it again July 28th. Well it's 3 1/2 weeks later and I still don't have it. I'm not sure I trust my internet connection to download it so I keep requesting it. I have mailed Denon support twice about my second request and have yet to receive any replys, not even an automated one. I hate to say it but my faith in Denon is eroding.

So I was wondering if it was just me or there were others in the same boat.

FYI I have requested the March 2005 update for the DVD-5900 which has a rev num of ESS-6334-G.

Thanks much :(

-john

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
This has been covered ad nauseum in the 3910 thread. I've offered to mail/e-mail the files to whoever would like them. Just PM me with the info and I'll shoot them over. Not really a need for a new thread...

Jason

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I checked the website again and now it states that the upgrade is available via download only. So I did download it and install the upgrade. The instructions were good enough to get the job done and there was plenty of details for creating the correct type of CD ROM images. The update G is just of 2MB is size for the 5900. I was worried that it was much larger because I hade heard that the 3910 upgrade was huge. What bothers me is while I was waiting for my upgrade to arrive via std Mail, Denon changed their policy and did "NOTHING" to let me know. It's not like they didn't have an Email address, they require it as part of the registration process. In an era where corporations are fighting for customer loyalty Denon didn't do the right thing.

It would be nice to let the end users know how large each of the upgrades are also. If I had known that this upgrade was only 2MB is size I would have downloaded it 3 months ago. :eek:

Off my soapbox.

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
I agree with you. Having requested Denon to mail me upgrade 2 months ago, it would have been nice to have been told it would not be coming in the mail afterall. I just downloaded it and burned in onto 3 CDs. Hopefully it will work when I load them into the player.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Is there any reason for me to update the firmware, if I am not going to be using the I-link? I had any problems with my 3910, so I am a little worried about trying to fix something that is not broke?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know. You might have much better luck with the 3910 owners thread? Be sure to tell them what firmware rev you have though, there may be an upgrade that is available that needs to be installed before the Denon Link upgrade. Also I would download them just to have them. Burn them and catalog them with your manuals. If you ever need to sell it, those upgrades may be valuable to the buyer. Also, who knows how long Denon will be around. I'll probably get flamed for this comment but it todays economy anything is possible.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
15,826 Posts
I would recommend the upgrades (mine worked fine yesterday, by the way). They usually also include small improvements in PQ and fix other errors as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.