AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. U cant believe how happy I am finally findning a forum where it goes about AV equipment and there are a lot of serious readers and writers. *jumping of joy*

{Excuse my sometimes poor English}

I have this "little" problem.

To start with I will tell u i live in europe and therefore utilizes european models of above mentioned DVD players.

My problem is to choose the right DVD for my homecinema and music setup:

** Picture will be projected by a InFocus LS110 with builtin faroudja chip. fed via Component video in Supra cables.

** Sound will be reproduced by Denons AVR3802 (which i havent recieved yet but plan to buy very soon) delivering sound to either a:

- Canton Carat system (carat M80DC + 5 CM7DC´s) or an

- Infinity Kappa system (Kappa 600 + center + alpha 20´s for the rear). Everything will be supported by REL´s Q150 sub.

The problem i have is majorly picturewise:

I have borrowed the Denon DVD2800 (not the MK2 since it is yet not available in stores over here - only to be imported from germany) with the silicon 503 chip and projected the image via composite to my projector.

When I project the picture on my InFocus proj without PS on the proj faroudja chip takes care of the PS* and then i have a FULL WIDTH picture on the screen, allthough as soon I turn on PS on a NTSC movie about 4-5 cm´s (on a 240 cm picture screen) of the width "dissapears" as though the sil503 doesnt manage to feed the entire width.

This is very annoying since i want it to fill the screen out to the black borders (and i cant move or zoom the projector for a bigger pic - its allready in the back of the room close to the wall).

My question is: Will the DVD2800MK2 with the new sil504 chip suffer from the same problem?

How is the pic on the DVD1600?

It doesnt feature the 12bit processor and here in Europe i dont think that we even got the Faroudja chip built in (or at least its turned of somehow for some VERY stupid reason since we import a lot of movies from THE US due to the superior pic quality and a bit heavier material on the discs). I hope the region system fades out so that we can buy Reg1´s here to sometime.

Reading that the DVD3800 features the same silchip504 as the DVD2800MK2 makes me think i get the same problem on this one allthough the audiosection is defenitely tempting with the burr and brown dacs :eek:)

I have also read a LOT about Toshibas budget deck the SD220E and its predecessor SD210E wich gets greats comments about the picture (should belong in a class one notch up according to several magz) allthough this only features 10bit/27MHZ processing. I have not tested it but i wonder if someone has or even better:

Has someone compared these players i mentioned and seen differences in picture worth spending money on or should I opt for the Tosh and a really good CD?

I have compared the Denon with HK´s new DVD25 and Primare´s AV10 and AV25 and i would list them like this (1 bad - 5 good)

Modell Pic Sound Price

DVD2800 4 4 4 (component)

HK DVD25 3 3 5 (component)

Primare DV10 3-4 4-5 4 (SVHS)

Primare DV25 4-5 5 3 (fed via true RGB)

*PS = Progressive scanning:confused:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
When the picture fills the entire width of the screen it's because the projector stretches the picture beyong the screen, this is called overscan and is required on CRT-TVs and CRT-projectors. Why digital projectors sometimes do this is a complete mystery to me.

I don't see why the projector would stretch a PS-signal different from an interlaced signal, it might be programmed with overscan in the Faroudja-engine.

I haven't noticed a difference in horisontal fill with my DVD-2800, Hitachi-projector and interlaced/PS. I do, however, notice that the width of the picture varies from movie to movie. Some movies have more black on the sides than others, and some movies have more black on the right side than the left side.

Why did you use composite from the DVD-2800 to the projector? It's a lot better to use component. Or was that just a typo? :)

Quote:
The problem i have is majorly picturewise:

I have borrowed the Denon DVD2800 (not the MK2 since it is yet not available in stores over here - only to be imported from germany) with the silicon 503 chip and projected the image via composite to my projector.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I used component - it was just a typo :)

There is overscan feature built into the projector - this one is turned OFF since u loose picture information turning it on and the original aspect of the movie is changed.

The overscan "zooms" up the picture BUT it fills out the entire frame, allthough this should be done allways when it comes to width (only the height should change on a widemovie).

I have the same problem (with 5 cm dissapering) with my current Yamaha DVD-S796 player. And if i turn overscan ON it fills picture up but with loss of pictureinfo.

This is what causes the problem i believe.

The faroudja chip built into the projector that had PS facilities built in to it fills the entire picture when fed with a interlaced signal since then the progressive imaging is done in the projector.

When u feed the projector with a progressive signal the faroudja just passes the signal through the PS-part of the faroudjachip to keep the signal unaltered. And if the Sil-chip in the denon sends a different pic-signal with an other width this problem would appear.

It could also be a problem with the projectors ability to handle the prgressvie signal - i dont believe it deinterlaces the signal bacausse the picture is different when running with or without progressive turned on on the Denon - Red is calmer when using progressive on the Denon than when feeding with interlaced and letting the projector do the job with PS-ing the picture.

The blacks in side of the movie differs between different players (some fill piture som do not) and with my modded Yamaha its awful since it tears about 5 cm of the width in interlaced mode (i believe it could have something to do with the modding maybe?).

I havent seen the black differing between movies - allthough between different regions.

PAL movies cut about 1 cm extra vs NTSC films on the same player for some reason (of the woidth).

I have been testing a bunch of players and discovered that the only one i have this problem with is when running the Den on progressive (the HK DVD25 didnt even work with progressvie - screen went blank. Could have been a faulty machine though)

But i hope the new Silchip does the job - i hope it is not the projector since i have been through this in a long story with infocus and they say its not related to their product (the projector) but i dont have a clue since stand without fact here :(

I attatch the document that explains the faroudja chipset and what it does - as i see it it should work perfectly with progressive.

Best regards

Boogie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm experiencing this overscanning problem with my Denon dvd3800 and my Philips 34WP9815 16x9 I forst noticed it with a 4:3 image where the bottom part of the image is cut off and the entire size is presented too large. While viewing a 2.35:1 film the image portion is not centered vertically. This only happends with a progressive hook-up, but is fine when viewed interlaced. I'm told that the player may not be compatible with my Philips TV?????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.