Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of these two players which one will have a better picture quality and sound

thanks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The 1600 is a RP56 with DVD-A and better audio section. They will have about the same picture, the Denon will have the DVD-A and probably be better for redbook CDs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how fast is it when you skip chapters? Also does have the 4:3 shrink funtion? anybody.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not really sure about the skipping chapters. I got an open box rp56 and it has worked perfectly. I usually just have a 27 inch non hd tv at school, but I just came home from college and hooked it up on my dads mitsu hdtv so I could check out progressive scan. Id have to say that the picture quality is phenomenal. Denon probably has a little better quality but I can reccomend the rp56 from my own experiences

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know the denon will fit a 4:3 to 16:9 if that helps (no side bars).

1600 sounds awesome. The DACs in the 1600 are burr brown, rp56 are not. DVD-A is really cool and also sounds great. I had rp56 briefly. Felt cheap, great picture but that's about it. Denon is built much more solid with great picture and audio as I have said.

FREAK!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
metallicafreak,

How does the 1600 fit 4X3 to a 16X9 screen with no side bars ........ by just stretching it sideways so everything looks "fat"??

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yup, thats pretty much what it does (in progressive and interlaced).

Doesnt bother me any (on the rare occasion that I watch a full screen title (s.s. CC) because me mits ws65905 only does stretch and zoom on 4:3 material so I am very used to it.

FREAK!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Interesting and disappointing ................ linear-only horizontal stretching to fill a 16X9 screen.

My ultimate esoteric progressive DVD player feature would be non-linear horizontal 30% side-stretching of 4X3 classics (while in the digital domain) to fill 16X9 screens.....much the same as Pioneer's superb Natural Wide analog zoom built into their CRT RPTV's.

I thought the Mits had an equivalent to this Pioneer mode?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased the Denon 1600 a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it, especially the picture quality. After owning/borrowing several Sony/Pioneer players (NS700P and DV38 being the latest) with medium to highly visible chroma bug appearing on their pictures, to finally be without it is great! The sound quality for DVD-A isn't quite as good as the DV38 IMO, but it's close and for a lot less money. I think I've seen a trace or two of the "flicker bug" on this player but nothing major and it's not nearly as bothersome to me as the chroma bug.

Phil - I've been following your comments for some time and agree with them overall in terms of what would be an ideal player, but I really do think this player would work for you (or the RP56/62 if you don't want DVD-A), especially depending on the percentage of DVDs you would watch that are not anamorphic widescreen. I own well over 200 DVDs, and I would say that over 80% are anamorphic (that's partially a purchasing decision as well because I don't like to buy ones that aren't if I can help it). For the ones that aren't, running the player in interlaced mode and using my Pioneer 610's Natural Wide mode for 4:3 material is "good enough" for those few times that it's an issue. As you know, the Pioneer Elite HDTVs internal processing is as good if not better than many of the progressive players out there (including Pioneer's own players). I've been wanting the perfect player to come along for a while now too (and must admit that I'm curious to see how the upcoming Marantz 8300 turns out). However, for me it wasn't worth continuing to wait anymore and after using it for a few weeks I believe the 1600 does it's job very well.

Regards,

Jeff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought the dvd1600 and I noticed that the picture quality is better than the rp56. I think this players is a keeper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.