Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I need some advice . I have a Denon DVD 2800 ( my second one in 4 months ).I have had all the problems , lip sync ,lock up , unit shut down , section of the picture erratically out of focus, ntsc colour problems , pal colour probs too, and several others I cannot remember at the moment.

My question is ,

Would I be better off trading it in , on a mk2 or 3800 ?. Has the Mk2 fixed all of those problems , or is it the same 2800 with the Sil504 processor ?.

I am ready to chuck it in the bin , but cannot afford to do that . Now 4 months down the track after buying the first one , seeing it go in for repairs 4 times , getting a second one , a replacement ( the colour is better , but thats all), and I am no better.

All the salesmen said , ' No we have never had a problem with the 2800 ". Only one guy ( an authorised dealer )said to me he would not recomend them ,as they were too much trouble.

As you can see ,I would be grateful of any help, as I do not know what to do?( really confused).

Regards

Juz

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Juz,

I had a chance to swap my 2800 to either 2800 Mk 2 or a 3800. Unfortunately upgrading to 3800 would've cost a bundle, so I went for the 2800 Mk 2.

I got the region-free & PAL progressive scan enabled firmware for the Mk 2 yesterday, installed it, and watched bits of Star Wars Episode II and Spider-Man. PAL progscan looked very good and the player didn't glitch once.

I'm very happy with it (for the time being) but have this nagging feeling that the curse of Denon might strike any moment.

.petri.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I too had a 2800 which I was unhappy with for the same reasons. I was lucky (I think) for Denon (or their courier) to "lose" it when sending it back after a repair, so they replaced it with a MkII.

The new PAL prog / multiregion firmware has only been out (or at least known about) for a matter of days. I also downloaded it at the weekend. I initially had some tearing/lip-sync problems, but these seem to be solved by using progressive mode 1 (instead of 2).

My advice would be to wait a few weeks until more people have started using the new firmware. You can let people like Petri and I be the guinea pigs, and make a decision based on our relative happiness after we've watched a few more DVDs!

I'll try to remember to post a progress report, but feel free to prompt me in a few weeks if I forget!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Richard & Petri ,

Thanks for all your advice, that is great. Thanks also for both taking the time to reply to me too.

Regards

Juz

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own this DVD player and almost one year no problem at all and 12Bit Video processing is unreal, almost like HD to me and I watch HD all the time with SONY KDP-57XBR2.

GREAT DVD player.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had my mkII for about 6 months now and had no problems at all with it. Recently upgraded it to region free and PAL-progressive. I can strongly recommend it!

But if you are going to listen to DVD-Audio you might want to buy the 3800 since the mkII does not have that feature. Myself, I only use it for DVD and since the video parts are identical I did not feel the need to pay that much extra for just DVD-A and better audio components.

/Nick

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I've just watched "Bend it like Beckham" (R2) on my firmware upgraded mk II, and it exhibited major lip-synch problems at various points throughout the film, seriously reducing my enjoyment.

As a double-check, I tried the disk in a Sony 7700 player, where it played perfectly.

As this is the second Denon model that I've had lip-synch problems with (also the original 2800), I've seriously lost confidance in their players....

Juz - I would avoid this player!

I guess I need to sell the player or wait to see if improved firmware appears (probably unlikely).

I'm surprised that no-one else has reported these problems yet.........

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Richard ,

Sorry to here you are experiencing troubles. Since my troubles started in early August ,I have experienced lip sync on some discs. That is on 2 Denons. I put all those discs in my Pioneer DVD 515 ( I will keep this forever ) and not one of these discs has faltered.

What annoys me is that all the dealers say they have not had any problems at all . They all said " its your projector, or its your amplifier , or its this or that. " I isolated the problem before I ever rang them. I think the big problem is that most dealers / repairers use what I call Ferrari DVD Discs " . Ones that would play and look good on any player

The fifth Element

Shrek

Terminator 2

Video Essentials ( test programs )

Imax

Live Concerts (recorded on HD Cameras )

etc , etc.

They are not real fair tests at all.

I wish Pioneer made a Pal / Ntsc Progressive here in Australia . I would have bought that. I am stuck with my player , have wasted 2,000 AUD buying it, and don't know what to do.

Another problem here is Australia has the DVD2800 with a scart , and another model without . Both my units were made in early 2000.

I dont know if that has something to with the problems? oh well, to late now.

Thats enough about me , I suggest you contact Denon in UK and explain to them . Hopefully it is just a software upgrade which can fix you up.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help too.

Juz

:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.