AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 6666 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer /forum/post/13943042

Has anyone played these, yet?

Watched the movie (first movie) last night. I was a little disappointed in the PCM track, but the movie played flawlessly. The bonus features did not play correctly, though. They were very, very juddery, actually appearing in slow motion, with poor deinterlacing and A/V dyssynchrony that progressivly deteriorated. Deleted scenes, alternate ending and other features had the same issues. The same features played without problems in my Sony S1. I have not done any firmware updates.

I get the same results as you did. I tried switching all resolutions on my 3800 so there are definitely issues with the bonus content. The movie however plays flawlessly.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin c /forum/post/13943071

I have not watch it yet. I will try the bonus features to see if it acts this way.

Perhap the extras were SD DVD (480i) and not HD. Are you watching in 100P24?

Sound was decent via LPCM on my rig but the reviews were not stellar on the audio.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/13943157

Perhap the extras were SD DVD (480i) and not HD. Are you watching in 100P24?

Sound was decent via LPCM on my rig but the reviews were not stellar on the audio.

Hi,

are you saying that with regards to the multichannel anaologue connections ? ie. reviews on audio were not stellar ?

·
Registered
27,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs /forum/post/13943226

Hi,

are you saying that with regards to the multichannel anaologue connections ? ie. reviews on audio were not stellar ?

Audio in general was as good as you would expect in any blockbuster film. Just not a reference track. My own assessment of the track was that is was very good... just not stellar.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/13943280

Audio in general was as good as you would expect in any blockbuster film. Just not a reference track. My own assessment of the track was that is was very good... just not stellar.

So that's a criticism of the BD movie mastering of HD audio rather than the Denon player. As a player , is it reference for 7.1 analogue output HD audio ?

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
I can't say that as I don't use analogs - no digital post processing. The recording of the movie was good.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/13941220

I will not be first in line as any future universal player will be more expensive than the 3800

as much as I love the sound-quality of my DVD-3930CI universal player for SACD and DVD-A sources it has more mechanical problems and failures (has been back to Denon customer service twice and is only a year old). I think this is the nature of "universal players", there are too many potential operating problems. More strain on mechanical assemblies as well as firmware. So I would prefer more of a dedicated player now, one that would emphasize BD and SD-DVD performance, and of course respective audio quality.

Moreover I don't see much pressure for manufacturers to provide SACD/DVD-A capability with the market being sporatic and limited. There's really no popular music releases, although the classical market is pretty good.

The Oppo's, surprisingly, do a great job as universal players. They don't have the very high-end audio sections like the Denon's. But they do seem to yield solid operating behavior.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
I can't imagine being in this thread ready to drop $2K for a BD player and not using it as a dedicated Blu Ray piece.... especially when the Oppo does so much other stuff so well for a price that makes it practically free.

I have a 3800 and use an Oppo for SD DVD. The 3800 is a great Blu Ray player but poor ergonomics make it a bad choice for SD DVD & Blu Ray together. It is easier having a dedicated DVD player.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
..... even though the 3800 is purported to be a great SD DVD player, I am too incredibly lazy to fart around with it as a dual player

·
Registered
7,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/13940441

Wouldn't the music tracks in Profile 3.0 be at least equal to if not better than SACD/DVD-A?

have'nt seen any info in regards to profile 3.0 music releases?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I remember reading that this player had teething problems.

Can it output 1080p24 without problems now ?

There was one other issue- is the LFE fixed now ?

And is anyone enjoying decoded HD audio over the 7.1/5.1 analogue outs ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
For what it's worth, I updated the firmware today, and the issue with the Bonus features on National Treasure (other than aspect ratio problems) have apparently disappeared. BUT, when I just tried it, I now recall that I did not turn on subtitles, which were turned on when I noticed the problem before.

Indeed, the problem is gone. Reset everything exactly as last night, and the same features play just fine.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer /forum/post/13944959

For what it's worth, I updated the firmware today, and the issue with the Bonus features on National Treasure (other than aspect ratio problems) have apparently disappeared. BUT, when I just tried it, I now recall that I did not turn on subtitles, which were turned on when I noticed the problem before.

Indeed, the problem is gone. Reset everything exactly as last night, and the same features play just fine.

Sounds like I will need to do the update then.....

·
Registered
7,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/13944008

.....I am too incredibly lazy to fart

how much (extra) effort does it take to load a SD-DVD instead of a BD title?

Yeah, I had held my DVD-3930CI up high in regards to SD-DVD quality (probably one of the best on the market). However this DVD-3800BDCI unit does an incredible job to [not] want to use it for SD-DVD sources, CD music playback quality is way up there too. So now I've been using my DVD-3930CI for SACD and DVD-A exclusively (via-analog OUT's).

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The strangest thing just happened to me. I popped in the Magic of Lang Lang hoping to hear some nice piano music and then was welcomed by skipping in the first track. Thinking this was a fluke, I popped in ABBA Gold and the same thing happened. Next, I turned on the projector and put in the Dave Matthews BD and then played perfectly. I took out the BD and replaced with ABBA and then it played without skipping. I've never had this happen to me before with a CD before the update. I just installed the latest firmware and had previously skipped the first one since I knew more were to come. Anyone else feel there's more skipping with music CD's or maybe this is isolated?

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
I don't know that I've ever put a CD in my BD3800. Are you running CD audio via HDMI?

if so, you ,may've had a HDMI hand shake gremlin causing the audio issues... Try using analog or SPDIF outs. I say this as you said once the PJ was turned on, all was good. A PJ, as you know, completes the HDMI shake when powered on.. Was the PJ powered on with subsequent CDs that played properly?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Current setup is analog only for audio. The pj is connected via HDMI/DVI cable. CD playback had always been perfect before the update. Too much of a coincidence if the update is not to blame.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Try it again and see if you can repeat this. If it is a true bug, it should be repeatable. If it is, try unplugging the HDMI cable and see if that helps (even though it is not active). Or does the HDMI light glow when you are running a CD?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I picked up my 3800 from Denon HQ last week. I didn't get to talk to them unfortunately, but they owe me a response on the 5db LFE issue and the 480p resetting problems. The latter still being present. I can not tell if the 5db LFE issue through HDMI is a problem or not yet. As for playback and all the problems I had -- the 24Hz is clearly fixed and that's a huge difference -- it comes up on my RS2 as 23.98(?)Hz I recall, and the picture is ultra smooth. And the biggest issue with the player that I had --- not engaging and freezing up is completely gone -- I suspect they replaced a lot and will find out. Unfortunately, when I try to use 1080p pass through of the HDMI signal from my Lex pre/pro to the projector, I keep losing the picture/signal every 5-10 minutes which makes watching movies unwatchable so I have to go direct (from the player to the projector) to watch anything which really sucks since I lose hi-def audio over hdmi, but that has to be a problem with the Lexicon I would think, not the 3800. Oh well.

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Lexicon reently released a firmware update. You might want to check as it had to do with HDMI A/V. Did Denon give you a new one? A new serial number? I confirmed the LFE issue with my player via LPCM.

2441 - 2460 of 6666 Posts