AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to express my shock when I loaded the first DVD into my newley modded Denon DVD5900 now connected via SDI to my DVDO iScan HD+. I expected some improvement, but holy cow, what I got was not "some" at all. I have always that the output of my 5900 was a little soft, and the macroblocking drove me nuts, with the new SDI mod and iScan running the processing I can truly say that I have only seen one DVD player outperform it (DVD5910) but the improvement was subtle to say the least (for film perfromance of course).

Anyone on the fence about the value of the SDI interface should be rest assured that the investment will definitely show major improvements in image quality. IMHO

Half

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles
nice to hear! I've not seen the 5900, but the 5910 is a hell of a machine!
The 5910 is definitely an awesome machine, my best friend has one. However, the 5900 with SDI connected via iScanHD+ is very very close (film) and still less expensive. I believe the audio performance to be on par with the 5910 and I still gain the advantage of infinitely more flexible scaling for not only my 5900 but for all of my sources (replay, HD Cable, etc...)

Half

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I wish I could convince the wifey to let me splurge on a mod like this......if the 5900 looks that good, I can only imagine what the 3910 via SDI to the iScan HD+ would do!!

but, I don't even want to think about the cost :(.... I mean, we are talking $600 or so for the SDI and another $1200 for the iScan....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The 3910 should look the same(excellent). They both use the same mpeg decoder.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk
The 3910 should look the same(excellent). They both use the same mpeg decoder.

if only I could justify the cost..... :(

anyone got an idea how much we are looking at (ballpark)?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo

DVDO (Anchorbay Tech) has the iScan HD+ listed at 1499.00 plus the SDI input option for $399.00 on their website. However, I purchased mine from their Hot-Deals (b-stock) section where is is offered for a LOT less. My unit iScan HD+ with SDI input kit arrived the day after I ordered it in absolutely perfect condition (I even doubled checked my invoice to make sure they sent a b-stock unit, it looked so good).

SDI mod's can either be done by sending your unit to a company like MSB, or JVB Digital, or you can order a DIY kit from the pixelmagic from www.digitalconnection.com for $149.00 plus shipping. PLEASE note, the instructions for install of the kit are extremely limited and not DVD player specific. There are instructions for specific players on www.pixelmagic.com but not every player is listed. Even with the instructions in hand, the work is on a very very small scale. There are not many connections necessary, but they can be very tedious to work with. I decided to have mine installed at a local electronics repair shop, he charged me two hours of labor, but mentioned that he was very generous since he had fun working on such a high end machine. He also mentioned that the work was easier because the DVD5900's video board was easly removable and had solder points that were easily accessible. Lower-end machines or machines that integrate their video board on the main board may require much more work. DEFINITELY don't try the mod yourself if you are not VERY good a soldering and familiar with the MPEG decoder pin-outs on your machine (or have full graphical instructions).

If anyone needs the instructions for the DVD5900 mod please PM me, I got them from another AVS member, and would be glad to share with someone else too.

Good luck, and trust me, it's worth the effort and $

Half

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo

Try Jason Turk of AVS Sales for the iScan unit and JVB Digital for the SDI mod is the route I went, very satisfied with their work. I think my total cost was around $1500-1600 or so..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.